• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2003 week last unlocked Barton was manufactured

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well what do ya know.....vcore 1.72, 177FSB 12.5 multi..2214.84MHz, need to do a bit of stress testing but this could be some fun! Just might have to look at a Swifttech H2O set up!

Little dilema

Just got a locked 2600 barton. There still a possibility to change it to a 2500 bart. I don't think I'll get a chance to find an unlocked one though(there're all probably made this year). Now since I'm a newbe ;) and I'm just starting to understand overclocking, could someone tell me what's more stable- a 2600 barton oc 166@200 or a 2500 at 200 fsb? And another thing, I've got a 2 year warranty for an OCed OEM CPU so I can oc the damn thing as long as I don't crush the core.

Kemots said:
... could someone tell me what's more stable-
a 2600 barton oc 166@200 or
a 2500 at 200 fsb?
And another thing, I've got a 2 year warranty for an OCed OEM CPU so I can oc the damn thing as long as I don't crush the core.

Who gave you a 2 year warranty on OEM CPU?
Usually only retail (boxed CPU+heatsink) versions have a long warranty,
OEM (when you buy just the CPU, no box, no heatsink) has a 15-30 day warranty only.

As for stability, it will depend on your motherboard, RAM, power supply brand and of course cooling.

Test the stability by using a stability test program such as Prime95 Torture test like so:

To test the stability of overclocked CPU, download the latest bug fixed version of Prime95:
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

Double click on PRIME95.EXE to start the program.

Just Stress Testing (if prompted) > OK >
Options > Torture Test > Blend (if prompted) > OK

The program should not give any errors.
It may be necessary to run the program 12-24 hours to make sure an overclocked system is stable (no program errors displayed).

If you get errors only after several hours, this is a result of slight instability because the system is running with little or no margin. It's stable enough to boot and to be moderately stressed, but as soon as the system is under enough load to go over that critical point, it will freeze. To be 100% stable, Prime95 should run 12-24 hours without any errors.

The point of testing is to see if you get errors or not thus testing the stability. The meaning of errors themselves is not as important.

Running Prime95 Torture Test for 5 to 30 minutes is enough to get a feeling about general stability. If it seems to be stable, increase the FSB (with 0.025V Vcore increase if needed), or increase the multiplier by 0.5.

Reboot and run Prime95 Torture Test for 5 to 30 minutes and repeat this until the Program displays errors.
It's then time to back down and repeat the Torture Test until there are no errors for at least 12 hours.

It's OK to use the computer while Prime95 Torture Test is running in the background.

After finding your stable point you may want to then retest by going to the Advanced section, setting the password to 9876 and then setting Priority to 10. (You won't be able to use your computer while Priority 10 Prime95 Torture Test is running, but it'll confirm your system stability.)

Use 3DMark to test video card stability.

Last edited:
I have a 3200+ 400MHz FSB Barton, thats pretty much guarenteed to be locked, eh? :bang head
In a few days I'm switching to AS5 so I can get some info off of the front of the chip, but it doesn't seem it will matter, as a 3200+ seems extremly likely to be locked.

Barton 2800+

rolleyes:

Have a AMD Althon XP Barton 2800+ cpu, MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR (MS6570 v1.0) mobo, 2 PNY PC3500 512 sticks. Question lock or unlock?

AXD28000KV4D Y88044K30001
AQYHA0344TPBW
AVNU11455

These are the numbers I found on the CPU Chip. Please advise on this question

GreenEyes said:
rolleyes:

Have a AMD Althon XP Barton 2800+ cpu, MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR (MS6570 v1.0) mobo, 2 PNY PC3500 512 sticks. Question lock or unlock?

AXD28000KV4D Y88044K30001
AQYHA0344TPBW
AVNU11455

These are the numbers I found on the CPU Chip. Please advise on this question

Tis locked... The 0344 in the second line denotes 2003, week 44. Everything after week 39 is locked.

OK just making sure I understand this after reading 10pages of posts!

I have a 2500Barton unlock and everything is great, but my second box, 1800TbredB - AXDA1800DUT3C 41F6976L30170SIXIB 0345MPM is obviously locked

It runs on PC3200 memory - my question is can I still adjust the FSB to OC it, I'm ok with the multi being locked if I can raise FSB to match the memory...

Am I correct??

thanks!

PS: Talk about thread ressurection!

FSB overclock will also depend on what kind of RAM and motherbaord your brother has. Carefully increasing voltage would also help if you watch the temperatures.

Probably a good idea to start a thread with full system specs.

Back