• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Altec Lansing 641 Sub Died

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TimeCop

Love this system mostly for it's bass but the sub died last week.

Been searching and found that this seems to be a common problem:

http://bizrate.lycos.com/marketplac...d--6389250,cat_id--483,rf--wgg,start--20.html

hense is probably why it was discontiuned.

I was wondering if anyone out there actually figured out what was wrong and fixed it themselves. I'd love to have this thing working again, I've looked into buying a new system but have been let down when it comes to the bass.

Been trying to find threads on this topic but since it won't let you search for 3 char. words (641) so far I've came up empty.

Thanks.

Let the bass pump through the 188-watt subwoofer. - Logitech Z-680

Hmm maybe there is hope after all, I will have to go check this system out in person if I cannot find a way to bring my sub back to life.

check for a blown internal fuse inside the subwoofer- mine blew in my z-560s....

Fixed my Altec Lansing 641 Subwoofer

She's ALIVE!!! :D

I'm sooo happy, my walls and feet are shaking again... I think my neighbors hate me again though. Muhahaha

BASS BASS BASS

Brand: Altec Lansing
Model: 641

Problem: Sub woofer Dead

My Solution:

I removed the front cover and removed the two, 6.5" subs, tested them and they were fine. Using a mulimeter I tested the power from the transformers inside the box. Everything seemed to be fine, I took the amp (top circuit board) out of the equation and was getting sound (had to turn it up all the way due to the crossover without an amp). Took the amp to my local repair shop, he said 8 chips on the board was the problem but they would be too difficult to replace. Not to give up I searched for a car amp that I could use, (only needed a 100watt amp) but I couldn't find one for less than $130. Wasn't going to pay that much, I did find one online somewhere for about ~40 and was thinking about ordering but I was at Meijers and they had a 250watt amp on sale for 24.99, snagged it. :cool:

Then there was the problem of supplying it with 12v DC, had a 120v AC to 12v DC converter from Radio shack but it was only rated to 800ma (0.8a) tried it and it worked kinda (if I turned up the bass it sounded distorted). Figured the amp needed more power so I tried a power supply from an old laptop 120v AC to 15v DC at 3amps. Worked like a charm!!!

Now I don't have to buy a new system for a while.

It sounds just as good as before, maybe even better. I sure hope this post helps other people longing to fix there dead sub woofer... pump up the BASS! :D

I might try and "upgrade" my crappy sub. I have the creative inspire 5200's. They sound OK, but they were cheap. (60 some dollars) I'm think about putting new speakers in the sub case. I have two rather large 50 watt car speakers ready to go. I may try and use the existing amp. Otherwise I might buy a car amp.

After dusting off my 641 I realized the right channel isn't working anymore. Both the front right and rear right channels have gone deaf other than a slight buzzing. Any idea what might be the cause?

After dusting off my 641 I realized the right channel isn't working anymore. Both the front right and rear right channels have gone deaf other than a slight buzzing. Any idea what might be the cause?

Janshim. This post is TEN YEARS old.:welcome: to OCF

Better you make a new post than to ressurect this from the dead. I know your new but please read the thread a bit and check post dates before you post.

:facepalm:

Back