• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Xp problem(My task Manager is disabled)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Myth

Registered
I tried pressing ctrl + alt+ del to close a non responding program and i got a message box that says "Task Manager has been disabled by your Administrator". I dont know how this happened.I was however messing around with "Tweak xp " and tweaking some xp settings but i dont think that has anything to do with it tho. Can someone tell me how i can enable the task manager? I dont even know how or why it got disabled in the first place. I am the pcs Administrator.

This does sound odd.. well i guess it might have something to do with tweak xp, but I'm not sure. Do you have many different user accounts? Have you tried another one. Or just to boot your computer that also sometimes helps.
Other from that, I have no idea what to do.. except the extreme solution.. to re-install, but don't go there untill you get some more feedback from some ppl who actually know what they are talking about. ;)

As long as you're running Pro, then give this a try...Start | Run | Type gpedit.msc, in order to access the Group Policy Editor. Expand the following branch in the LH pane...

Local Computer Policy | User Configuration | Administrative Templates | System | Ctrl+Alt+Del Options

Right click "Remove Task Manager" in the RH pane, and select "Properties" | In the "Remove Task Manager Properties" window that opens, check to make sure the "Not Configured" radio button is selected (this policy toggles that option on/off). This Group Policy setting is located under the following Registry Key...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | policies | system

DisableTaskMgr DWORD, with a value of 00000000

...which corresponds with the default setting of "Not Configured". :)

Back