• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flashing BIOS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HeXM

well ****, sup ppl, my first post here.

i dont know if this is possible, but is there a way to flash a compaq's bios to something else?

Mobo: Compaq 06E4h,
BIOS: 786K1, release date:07/26/2001, size:256Kbytes
Mobo chipset: VIA VT8363 KT133

tell me wut u think

Probably not. You would have to go to Compaq to get an updated BIOS to flash with. AFAIK there's no such thing as a generic BIOS for a chipset, the BIOS is particular to the specific implementation of the manufacturer. I do not believe Compaq is big on BIOS revisions. Good luck.

It's not likely. If there were identical boards built by the same company that built it for compaq, but sold with a slightly different BIOS to a slightly different market, you could probably use that bios. There is only one similar situation that I can think of. PCChips sold a motherboard identical to the ECS K7S5A, and you can use K7S5A overclocking bioses on it (I think). If you ever attempt to flash a different bios to your motherboard (which probably has it's cmos/bios chip soldered on), you'll probably end up with nothing but a motherboard that can't post.

ECS / PCChips are the same company, ECS being the retail marketing 'label' and PCChip OEM. So in that case it is literally the same m/b, just with different labelling and packaging. Other than that scenario, you'll end up with problems, including possibly a dead m/b, if it isn't exactly the right BIOS for your m/b.

well, i figured out my ACTUAL mobo, its FIC AZ31. I did find the bios that i wanted, but they are older then the compaqs original.

is ther any way i can modify the bios file, so it can be lets say, 2003-7-13, or anything over 2001?

The date associated with the BIOS is irrelevant. The BIOS is actually 'instructions' that tell your computer how to 'work' (input / output stuff) before the actual O/S is loaded.

HeXM said:
well, i figured out my ACTUAL mobo, its FIC AZ31. I did find the bios that i wanted, but they are older then the compaqs original.

is ther any way i can modify the bios file, so it can be lets say, 2003-7-13, or anything over 2001?

You want to modify the date the file was created? Why?

Back