• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit NF7-S vs Asus A7N8X Deluxe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kj4ta

I will be getting a new MoBo this week and probably an Athlon XP 2500+.
Does anyone have any thoughts on which is the better MoBo?
Is the Soundstorm on the Abit better than an Audigy 2?

Thanks for any input.
Ken

Well, I have never used hte A7N8XD in an overclocking system, but it seemed pretty stable on my uncle's computer...punkd didn't want to overclock (then again, he just got through a whole new setup because a PSU killed it all..)

There are some voltage limitations on the A7N8XD if I remember right, which you would need to do a volt mod....don't know of where I would find this information since I can't think right now..

I have a NF7-S Rev 2.0 I like it, I wouldn't say its the best board I have, but it is definately a nice board. Soundstorm is actually quite nice, the quality is nice, might be able to be better, but I don't know becuase I have a setup that isn't the "best", z640's. Nice but, certainly not the best.

The NF7-S has a max VDD of 1.7 (there might be a volt mod for it two, hell if I know), which I find sort of disheartening, but hey, like I said there is probably a volt mod for it somewhere around here...

I have never heard sound through an Audigy 2, so I can't really compare it to SoundStorm, but SoundStorm is nice like I said above.

Good luck in the decisions, and have fun w/the new parts :)

Fold and Frag on
Brian

I have a NF7-S v2.0 as well, and I do like it quite a bit as well. I agree with bubba gump in the sense that it isn't the best motherboard that I have ever had, but it is of very good quality, with very good stability and few problems.
As for the volt mod, it's a pencil mod, and there's an article on it on Overclockers.com.
Soundstorm is pretty good, better than the Aureal 2 Vortex that I had before, and from what I've read, most people compare it to the original Audigy, meaning worse than the Audigy 2. My speaker system is terrible however, so I don't really have too much opinion on it. I basically went for the NF7-S so I wouldn't have to use any PCI slots. ;)

Ive never had very good luck with ASUS in the past. The MBs are fine at stock speeds, but don't O/C as well as the Epox or Abits that I have/had.

The NF7 is the best MB that I have owned.

I've volt modded it for VDD and VDIMM wasn't easy but well worth the effort.

Thanks for your replys. I received the Asus Board yesterday and she's humming along as I type. Only one funny (not really) thing is I have no idea where to plug the HDD's LED light to. I miss seeing the disk spinning. Any ideas?

Back