• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer wont stay off!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

radguy092089

This has nothing to do with overclocking, but i wanted to get help from people who know what they are talking about. I just finished building a computer last night and i am on it now on xp and it runs fine, except when it shuts down it turns off, then turns right back on again. It does the same when i turn it off with the power button. Is it a bad power switch?? I had a problem with the leds because the power led was a 3 hole plug but there were only 2 pins for it. How can i fix this problem??? Is it permanent? will i have to turn off my computer at the power supply switch each time?

Its probably not the led's causing it. There should be a jumper on your motherboard that did it. Its used in servers and so your computer turns back on after a power loss. Looks for a jumper like that. Its on most motherboards. Check your motherboad manual for more info. Good luck!

Matt

Else can usualy hold the power button in for 4 seconds will shut off most newer computers, had same problem on one of mine and shutting down like normal then holding the power button for four seconds.

sry..... It's a CP 865APE Fever 865

also, whats a good temperature for the cpu to be at normally.... is 32 C good?

radguy092089 said:
sry..... It's a CP 865APE Fever 865

also, whats a good temperature for the cpu to be at normally.... is 32 C good?

32c is fine. Actually its pretty good. Heh. Did you find the jumper I was referring to?

Matt

no.... and the manual is a pos, tells nuthin about the jumpers.... what would it be under... servers or sumthing ?

i just overclocked my cpu a little, it was a 2.6 800 fsb but its running at 32 C at 2.87 rit now

Most likely this will have to do with APCI settings in your bios. I was unable to find any place to d/l the manual for this board or much else than the basic specs:(

LutaWicasa said:
Most likely this will have to do with APCI settings in your bios. I was unable to find any place to d/l the manual for this board or much else than the basic specs:(

Searched for the manual to try and help the guy out. After about 10 minutes or so I couldn't find anything. But I don't know a thing about Intel Motherboards, so you better try it yourself. Good luck!

Matt

LutaWicasa said:

Do you mean ACPI? I think this is likely, because it usually handles things like power button events. But you could also mean APIC, the Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller. Both ACPI and APIC, I believe, can handle the re-assigning of interrrupts, do you think this is an interrupt problem?

I've found that on most motherboards I've seen there is a setting in the bios for what to do upon power being restored after a loss of power during operation, which is the function I think mdcomp is referring to. I doubt that this is the problem, unless by "turning off my cmputer" you mean "unplugging it and then plugging it back in". Give it a try if you find it anyway, though. I can't think of anything better right now. I will put some thought into the problem, though...

Yay! I fixed it, it was sumthin to do with power management in the bios... but thanks guys

one more question... what is a temperature you recommend that a p4 should stay at when it isnt working hard... around 40 C?
im sorta new to the overclocking thing

Gnufsh said:
To be honest, idle temperatures aren't that important, it's load that matters. That said, 40C idle is quite warm.

40c is not that bad. As long as the load is under 50c or around that. You should be fine at 40c as long as you don't plan on heavy overclocking. Glad you hear that you got the problem all worked out.

Matt

the same happens with my P2..could be the settings in the BIOS, which I'll check tonight..but if you guys can give me some other ideas if it doesn't work..

Asus P3C-D

Found a maybe soloution:
Switch solution?
I have one of the original Book PCs, and the power switch went bad. I have to hold it down - pressed in - for the power to stay off. If I release it, then it powers right back up again.

Is there a way to purchase a replacement power switch?

Patricia

Answer:
It sounds as if you've got a switch-bounce issue - the switch is "chattering" a few times after you release it, and that's turning the computer back on. Modern ATX power switches are momentary; all they do is short the two power-on pins on the motherboard each time you press them.

If this is the problem - actually, if it's any problem that requires replacing the switch - then there are a number of possible solutions. I doubt you'll be able to find an official Book PC Replacement Power Switch, but the switch itself will be a simple little momentary pushbutton mechanism, and there are a zillion of those in any decent electronics store. You may be able to find one that you can fairly easily swap in.

Alternatively, some other switch could be connected to the current switch's cable and used instead. Any momentary switch will do, and no dangerous voltages are carried on the wires. So if you don't care about a somewhat Mad Max appearance for the computer, you can just rip out the old switch, run the wire through the hole and stick the new switch in the hole, or to the side of the case with double sided tape, or just leave it dangling.

Anything that shorts the appropriate two pins for a moment will do, here. It's possible to turn a bare motherboard on and off with a car key, and many computer technicians do.

(A reader's also pointed out to me that a simple solution to a dud power switch is to unplug it, unplug the reset switch as well, and plug the reset switch cable onto the power switch pins. Bingo; problem solved. You can't easily hard-reset the computer any more, but wouldn't you rather be able to turn it on and off?)
http://dansdata.com/danletters073.htm

I mean turning it off from software..I said shutdown and it will just restart..everytime.

Back