• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

66mhz pci?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PLtNmHeLiX

How can you tell if a board has 66 Mhz pci? Does mine (8k5a2+)?

Because I want to buy a Silicon Image Serial ATA PCI RAID Controller for 2 raptors and want it to run full speed. Thanks in advance.

isn't only the PCI-X 66mhz? if so then it is a lot larger of a PCI slot than usual, it looks more like a white ISA slot.

Please correct me if I'm wrong guys. :)

There are some 64-bit, 66MHz PCI slots that can run with only a 32-bit card installed and are not PCI-X (although I think they may just underclock to 33MHz). You might have one of those if you had a server motherboard. With the 8KHA+, you PCI bus should be at 33MHz. I suppose you might be able to overclock it to 66MHz by going for a high FSB and a low PCI divider, (eg 133MHz FSB with a 1/2 PCI divider if you can set it, or 200/3)but all the rest of your PCI devices will flake out. Actually your card wouldn't likely work either, as it's "support" for 66MHz PCI slots probably consists of telling the 66MHz slot to underclock itself to 33MHz.

FYI Foxie3a, AGP is actually a modification of the PCI standard, and it runs at 66MHz as well as some of the 66MHz 64-bit PCI slots, in addition to PCI-X. Many newer 32-bit cards will work in 64-bit 33MHz PCI slots, and some will work in 64-bit 66MHz slots. Not that I advocate trying to shove PCI cards into your AGP slot or anything...

why do you guys assume I do'nt know anything about AGP?

when I said isn't only the PCI-X running at 66mhz, I was only counting PCI slots..not AGP slots, processors, or even ram ;-)

I wasn't assuming anything. I just presented what I knew regarding bus speeds. Gnufsh didn't mean anything by it either, he was just using it as an excuse to share the information he had. No harm intended. :)

I was just playing around too, no harm from anyone trying to share the knowledge of the great agp slot :p

I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know about the AGP slot, I just thought you might not know that it was based on PCI, so it's sort of a modified PCI slot (and one that runs at 66MHz).
Some fun busses:
ISA
EISA
VESA local bus
SMBus

You board probably has an ISA bus even id it doesn't have any ISA slots... For example many sensor chips are on the ISA bus in addition to the SMBus.

AGP IS NOT PCI

Biggest arcitectural difference I know (I am not a mb designer but I have read too many datasheets) is that AGP is Point-to-Point from the ground up. It cannot have multiply devices. Also AGP has video acceleration circuts inside it's protocal that cannot be used for general I/O. You can do PCI style I/O over the port but your limited to using the sideband lines which have a max of 266 mbs combined. Everything else is locked into video data only.

64bit/66 mhz and pci-x 66 are different. There is also pci-x 133 mhz. 266 mhz, 533mhz (this is faster than AGP 8x (2 gbs) with 4 gbs) . Where to find these ports I have no clue.:D

bulk88 said:
AGP IS NOT PCI

Biggest arcitectural difference I know (I am not a mb designer but I have read too many datasheets) is that AGP is Point-to-Point from the ground up. It cannot have multiply devices. Also AGP has video acceleration circuts inside it's protocal that cannot be used for general I/O. You can do PCI style I/O over the port but your limited to using the sideband lines which have a max of 266 mbs combined. Everything else is locked into video data only.
Very true, but the specification was originally based on the PCI bus... They did make some major changes. AGP is point to point, you can only have one AGP card on the bus.

AFAIK there aren't many )if any) boards out there with PCI-X in any version... there are plenty with 64-bit 66MHz slots (well, plenty of server boards). PLtNmHeLiX's card probably will plug into one of those, in addition to the traditional 32-bit 33MHz PCI slots. It will only be 32-bit, however, and probably simply tells the bus to underclock itself to 33MHz (if I remember correctly how this sort of card usually works). So you don't really lose much by using a regular PCI slot, unless you use a PCI-troubled chipset like the 760-MPX, then you might want to plug it into a 64-bit slot, but only because the 32-bit PCI bus performs so terribly.

edit: Link to "How AGP Works":
http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/agp1.htm

Just so you know, I got none of my information on AGP from this site, it just happens to support my statement.

thanks a lot gnufsh, now I have to appolize to smacking my computer everytime it detected a "isa bus" and I smacked it saying "You only have PCI DUMBA*S"

lol

theflyingrat said:
Hey; y'all are forgetting all about MCA... with all this talk of busses, who could possibly forget our old, beloved MCA bus?

;)
What about my poor SMBus/Ic2?

Back