• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sneak peek at the MCX159MrB that Mr B and I are creating to evaluate this new Fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
W00t can't wait for the review, everytime I see this, I just want to turn my Alpha PAL8045 into a chipset cooler!

BTW the helicopter thing doesn't really apply to fans... the helis are dealing more with the rotational inertia of the blades, not spiral airflow, because they aren't fan blades, they wing shaped to create lift not to produce airflow. The same principle can't be applied to fans because we want to straighten the airfow, not the fan housing.

BillA said:

look here

be cool

and who says we don't help our competitors (sic)

And to think the whole time Gabe and Billa were contracting a Hit man to take me out for defacing one of their works of art. :p

I am still going to wear my level III bulletproof vest 24/7 as this most excellent, informative post by Billa is probably just to make me drop my guard. :D

OK Bill and Gabe, I can't handle the pressure of being your competitor. I'll sell you the rights to use the design of the MCX159MrB for $.17 cents and a case of Hormel Luncheon meats, to be split 50-50 with Mr.B and myself.

BillA said:
cut the spam

we want DATA
perhaps an audio file as well ?

be cool

There will be audio and a video as well, as I borrowed a digital camcorder. I have already stated Swiftech will win in the dBA dept. ;) But thank G-d this fan will operate at 4 volts. :)

sandman001 said:
aluminum.......

*Swiftech Patented Aluminum Helicoid pin design (U.S. patent 6,469,898 and a high grade copper base.

*Patented Helicoid pin design (U.S. patent 6,469,898): pins are individually machined in an helicoid shape, to increase their surface area, and further enhance heat dissipation efficiency.

sam's rebuttal: The massive counter-rotating blades enhance the heat dissipation effeciancy to levels never seen before.

Very kewl idea! Much more efficient to control airflow too...

<-- is imagining having 80mm versions of those counter rotational fans as intakes.... :D

There is a dual rotor helicopter that uses the same principal... I think the army uses one. I can't remember what it's called though...

YellowDart said:
Very kewl idea! Much more efficient to control airflow too...

<-- is imagining having 80mm versions of those counter rotational fans as intakes.... :D

Delta makes a 80mm and a 92mm counter-rotating fan, but they are next to impossible to get.

wow, they do, how much are they.... is it possible to get them? i want one on my heatsink

I beleive you could get ahold of them.....but you would have to get ahold of a company that has a business account with delta that buys a few hundred or even thousands at a time. Your best bet is to know people that already bought some and would sell them to you, but prepare to pay a hefty amount.

Last edited:
De-facement of such a work of art is punishable by stoning.

However in your case we must reward by giving best NB Heatsink metal. :p but......

It still doen't save you from the stoning you will receive.

Warning, OT:
The helicopter with the two conter-rotating blades is the Ka-50 Werewolf, a Soviet design. As has been stated, this it to counter the effects of rotational inertia and has nothing to do with spiral airflow.

This looks like it will be an awesome front-page article. Runs at 4V, huh? That's pretty low.

JKeefe said:
Warning, OT:
The helicopter with the two conter-rotating blades is the Ka-50 Werewolf, a Soviet design. As has been stated, this it to counter the effects of rotational inertia and has nothing to do with spiral airflow.

This looks like it will be an awesome front-page article. Runs at 4V, huh? That's pretty low.

The Army,Navy and Marines also use them, they are the Boeing Vertol CH-47 Chinook. Pictured is an E model

mh47e-2.jpg

And the CH-46

ch_46_1.jpg

While I've flown on both the Ch-47 and Ch46's, I wish I had been able to go up in a Werewolf, but I've never even seen one in the flesh. (Been on a Russian Hind in flight, but can't say I enjoyed the experience)

ka5001.jpg

Ah, true, but the Ch-46 and-47 use offset blades. The Ka-50's blades are on top of each other. It's pretty cool, and results in a very maneuverable aircraft.
ka-50-2-01.jpg
Th Ka-50 looks a lot more like this fan assembly does. :)
Sorry, I'm a flight sim guy...

Don't forget the Canadian Sea King...
seaking_photo2.jpg

..hey it might have two rotors, no one's ever seen one complete and in working order to know for sure so it's possible. [/detour]

Back