• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sneak peek at the MCX159MrB that Mr B and I are creating to evaluate this new Fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silversinksam

Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©
Sneak peek at the MCX159MrB that Mr B and I are creating to evaluate this new Fan

Picture_004.jpg

Picture_027.jpg

(Pic Showing 10,546rpm)

JMC_10500.bmp

Some interesting facts:
  • A normal MCX159 has 96 pins, The Mcx159Mrb has 163 pins!
  • A normal MCX159 is 40.4 x 40.4 x 42 mm, The MCX159MrB is 50mm x 50mm x 38mm (these numbers are without a fan)
  • The Normal Swiftech Fan rotates at 5200rpm, The MXC159MrB Fan with COUNTER-ROTATING fan spins at a mind boggling 10,500rpm
  • THE MCX159 produces 6.3cfm, The MCX159MrB puts out 18 or 22cfm
  • The MCX159 produces 18dBA, The MCX159MrB JMC fan puts out 41.5-52dBA at 12volts......OK Swiftech wins in the quiet department :)
  • The Swiftech MCX159 costs around $30, The SwiftechMcx 159MrB for just the heatsink alone (MCX4000) is double that, so we win right? :)

For Performance numbers you'll have to wait for the Front page article, probably sometime next week.

PS we will run tests using this incredible counter-rotating blade fan running from the crazy 12volt 10,500rpm, down to 4 or 5 volts for those of you like myself that don't like high noise levels.

I'll say this though, if you liked the 60mm Delta Black Max back in the day, you will love this fan even more if your crazy enough to run it at 12volts, when this review is done I will be running it at probably 5 volts. :rolleyes:

More details regarding this unique fan Are located here

i think there is more pressure which is a good thing.

how loud was the fan?

archilochus said:
What's the advantage of 2 blades going diff. directions at the same time? I don't see it.Please explain. Thanks,THE FANMAN:cool:
All axial fans produce a conical, spiraling airflow in open air. Some fans have static outlet fins to tame this phenomina(sp?); making the flow more cylindrical and straight. A counter-rotating fan takes advantage of that spiraling inertia (wasted energy from the first fan). A properly designed counter rotating blade will look quite different (not just reversed) from the primary fan's blade. The end result is a much higher static pressure, and increased volume.

omaticrail said:

All axial fans produce a conical, spiraling airflow in open air. Some fans have static outlet fins to tame this phenomina(sp?); making the flow more cylindrical and straight. A counter-rotating fan takes advantage of that spiraling inertia (wasted energy from the first fan). A properly designed counter rotating blade will look quite different (not just reversed) from the primary fan's blade. The end result is a much higher static pressure, and increased volume.

Thanks for explaining that, I'll also add this fan has 5 blades on the top and three on the bottom, the top blades are skinnier than the three fatter blades on the bottom, I would assume they produce equal airflow, but this fan blade configuration produces interesting airflow.

I am going to do some Googling today and see if there's any way I can take pics of the actual airflow pattern using Mcgyver like methods ;) (I am leaning towards going to a fireworks store and buying some Smoke bombs, Gotta love fireworks being legal in FL. :)

I have to borrow my best friends Digital camcorder if I figure out a good method to capture the airflow on digital media, then I'll make a short 20 second movie, with my luck the fireworks store will sell me a mislabeled smoke bomb, and selling me a M80 instead, thus blowing this fan up :p

Silversinksam said:

I am going to do some Googling today and see if there's any way I can take pics of the actual airflow pattern using Mcgyver like methods ;)

Heck yea McGyver ROCK!

Or, you could go into a really cold room, then have the fan suck warm air out of something like a hairdryer blowing into a large box - illuminate past the fan and you should see the refractory effects of the two different air densities producing a kind of swirly image.

L337 M33P said:
Or, you could go into a really cold room, then have the fan suck warm air out of something like a hairdryer blowing into a large box - illuminate past the fan and you should see the refractory effects of the two different air densities producing a kind of swirly image.

I have a 20Lbs Co2 tank for the bar I used to have at my old Abode, perhaps I can figure out a way to do something along the lines that you suggested. Thx

I have a question. What if you took two of the same exact fan, and hooked them together somehow, but running in opposite directions. Would that have the same effect? Or is this fan special somehow

rugbyroy said:
I have a question. What if you took two of the same exact fan, and hooked them together somehow, but running in opposite directions. Would that have the same effect? Or is this fan special somehow

The problem is that if you did that, is that the fans would cancel themselves out if they were running in opposite diections, Even stacking fans of the same type blowing in the same direction is problomatic.

The Sweet deal with these fans is they counter rotate to produce the best possible airflow.

wildfrogman said:
Cool sneak peek, maybe these fans will become really popular and playing around~testing the really new stuff is always cool.

They are making them availablefor sale soon through vendors I have recommended to them.

Is there anything to be gained from having 2 fans on the sides of the heatsink - one pushing and the other pulling the air?

*Is a fan newbie*

Good idea. I liked it so much that I just bid on and won a MCX370 off of ebay that I'm going to try the same thing with...although I have no desire to run a 52db fan with it. :)

It looks like it will be nearly identical to a 4000 after its cut down.

Mark

Silversinksam said:

Thanks for explaining that, I'll also add this fan has 5 blades on the top and three on the bottom, the top blades are skinnier than the three fatter blades on the bottom, I would assume they produce equal airflow, but this fan blade configuration produces interesting airflow.

I am going to do some Googling today and see if there's any way I can take pics of the actual airflow pattern using Mcgyver like methods ;) (I am leaning towards going to a fireworks store and buying some Smoke bombs, Gotta love fireworks being legal in FL. :)

I have to borrow my best friends Digital camcorder if I figure out a good method to capture the airflow on digital media, then I'll make a short 20 second movie, with my luck the fireworks store will sell me a mislabeled smoke bomb, and selling me a M80 instead, thus blowing this fan up :p
look here

be cool

and who says we don't help our competitors (sic)

rugbyroy said:
I think I saw a picture of a helicopter that used this same principle.

me too, it didn't need a tail rotor because the blads on top cancelled out the urge for the helicopter to spin

now only if sss could do what billa found

Back