• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I will scare you beyond belief

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a pretty dirty mouth if you'd hear me talk face to face - but I keep my posts clean out of respect for the rules. I don't frequent forums like the [H] because of the out-of-control swearing in them - it just annoys me. I agree, to a certain extent it can express your feelings probably better than anything else, but once you allow some swearing you'll get people using it gratuitously.

For the record, I'm not offended by strong language (I'm a 19yr old University student, I know all about swearing), I just think that gratuitous use of it gets in the way of what the person is trying to say sometimes. Plus we don't know who's using the forums, and I don't want to assume that every single member knows every single swear word under the sun. Please, is it really a big problem if you're not allowed to swear?

I don't want this to develop into a big row, but I can see there's some fairly strong feelings. If anyone's got anything to say, how bout dropping me, Andy or another Senior member a private message so we can discuss it without involving others?

This is a key point about this Forum.

The reason we don't allow profanity is NOT because I'm a prude; it's because it's a baby step to go from saying a FACT is BS to the PERSON is BS.

This I will not allow - I was very active in Toms Hardware Forums in the stone age and it degenerated into a flame-fest.

It's not going to happen here.

In this Forum, we respect each other as individuals. You can take issue all you want with what someone says and argue as passionately as you want, but you WILL NOT denigrate, defile or demean the person.

It's that simple.

Joe Citarella.

Well I know I would leave these forums in a flash except that I this is a good place to get information and still would be if the profanity was allowed. There are a lot of things that need changing around here. For one thing how are we attracting people into computers when they read a post that says, "cussing is bad" We are just making that dorky sterotype more real. Computers should not be confined to being dorky. I happen to be a football and baseball player, and I spend a lot more time on the practice field than in the forums. I think computers should become a hobby like collecting cards or stamps or whatever. By making the forum more "hip" we could attract more people. Obiviously allowing profanity is only one step and I dont know all the answers, but if we did something than this forum could be a place for everybody, not just the hardcore computer users which it seem like we are attracting now.

Oops, sorry if I sounded a bit self-righteous in that last post. And I spent 10mins writing it as well. Oh well :D

Yeah, nice oc Andy. I believe in you man :)

Ferg (Jul 24, 2001 04:26 p.m.):
Well I know I would leave these forums in a flash except that I this is a good place to get information and still would be if the profanity was allowed. There are a lot of things that need changing around here. For one thing how are we attracting people into computers when they read a post that says, "cussing is bad" We are just making that dorky sterotype more real. Computers should not be confined to being dorky. I happen to be a football and baseball player, and I spend a lot more time on the practice field than in the forums. I think computers should become a hobby like collecting cards or stamps or whatever. By making the forum more "hip" we could attract more people. Obiviously allowing profanity is only one step and I dont know all the answers, but if we did something than this forum could be a place for everybody, not just the hardcore computer users which it seem like we are attracting now.

You dont have to swear to attack other people. I cant tell you the number of times i have read, "why would you buy a stupid slot a motherboard" or what not. Although I do agree that attacking other people and not the issues is wrong, not allowing swearing is not going to solve that.

Wow.... thats sweet Andy! I fired up my 1.4 Tbird for the first time yesterday, and it ran windows (150 X11=1650) but not with a load on it.... and fell on its face @ 1705... I thought I was doing good till I saw your Duron WOOHOO!!! more to come..... Jim

Joe is right, it is a not a long step from calling something like Andy's oc BS to calling calling a piece of BS. This place isn't about being hip, its about helping others with overclocking. That includes EVERYONE and thus we must TRY to please everyone. Look at [H]ardOCP. You don't get help as a newbie there because no matter what your question you get flammed big time. If you look at the biggest and most often posted complement of this froum is the great amount of technical expertise and help you get here. I have had numerous headaches solved here. We don't cater to the dorks, I wouldn't call you a dork or a nerd just because you use a computer. By not allowing sweraing we are not being dorky, we are being accepting. If you allow swearing, where does it stop? You have to draw a line somewhere, and drawing it sooner rather than later is much much better.

Comon guys, you cant quote a clock speed that high an not expect some rejection at least. Im surprised how little there was actually. AtomicGUY quoted a clock of 1.84Ghz and everyone swore blind, no-one did here. Prolly because it is admin who posted, but lets not go there.

And people using profanity should not be punished. The only people who should be punished are people using profanity against others or people using too much profanity. Swearing and cursing is as said just a way of expressing anger towards something. Its becoming more and more common, just look at movies these days.

BTW that is an awesome overclock with a Duron. At first I thought it wasn't special until i saw the Duron in the specs! It amazes me that you only needed an extra 0.025v to get up there too! Way to go!

we are not getting on the guy for expressing his doubt just the fashion he did it in. Nor are we for punishing people who use profanity. We just ask you not to use as Dan doesn't like it. We don't want anyone of you to leave or be banned for this.

I believe that the forum would be just as useful without the profanity as you seem to believe it would be with it. I am a hobbyist, and I left the [H] forum and the old Tom's forum for the same reasons that Joe did.

Judging by the rate at which we are adding members, I suggest that it is precisely because we limit the profanity, and enforce the limit, that people come here and stay. Would you find it a more comfortable place to get info if every other post was a flame-fest? Do you find it less comfortable because we expect civility?

If the goal of this site and this forum was to appeal to the masses/mob, and hits were the only thing that mattered, then how about we institute public floggings?

I suggest to you, and anyone else that reads this, that this forum IS a place for everybody right now, not just "dorks and geeks" as you think of the stereotype. It is so because we enforce the rules of civility, and allow some "color", if appropriately edited/modified.

This forum is a meeting place for a diverse group of individuals, from all over the world, and across the age spectrum. It exists at the pleasure of Skip and Joe. We are to remember that we are guests in their house and should act as such. Attempting to set an example for the younger members of society, with proper manners and respect for each other, is not too much to ask for.

By modifying my behavior here, I have found myself acting better in front of my own children. That, to me, makes this a little more worthwhile.

Anthony

I'm pretty sure that Joe, Ed, Skip and Dan, Shadow, Tim (did I miss anybody?) are not going to bend on the profanity issue.
I don't blame them one bit. Allowing one form of disrespect is the beginning of a downward spiral to absolute chaos.

And I agree with Andy, it is in the place of Senior Members to point out when the line is being crossed.

Woah, in the time I was writing that there were 5 other replies. See how long I spend writing my posts, trying not to offend anyone? I think it's worth the effort :)

great oc andy !!

the lack of profanity and general respect for one another I believe is the reason that oc.com is growing at such a great pace it allows the new guy to ask that first question with out the fear that he/she will be ridiculed

swearing is of no use around here and does nothing to promote over clocking AND WILL NOT BE TOLERATED !! ;D

Pitspawn (Jul 24, 2001 05:06 p.m.):
Comon guys, you cant quote a clock speed that high an not expect some rejection at least. Im surprised how little there was actually. AtomicGUY quoted a clock of 1.84Ghz and everyone swore blind, no-one did here. Prolly because it is admin who posted, but lets not go there.

no-one believes atomicguy cos he's made completely unrealistic claims before. his is entirely a case of "cry wolf!", and no more.

we all trust andy because we know him, and the fact that's it's a morgan and not a normal duron makes the overclock entirely possible. most of the critics seem to have overlooked that fact. did the same people also say bullsh!t when people got celeron 300a's over 400? or when pIII 700 cB0s got to a gig? new steppings or new chips often set new records. nuff said.

Hey, Igree with Rob, I'm a 20yr old Uni student and know and probably use a large number of profanities, when I'm speaking but as the rules of this forum state, I don't carry them accross to here. I don't feel that it reallly needs it as, people help you if you post and I don't think that they woulkd any more or less if you used a profanity.

P.S Man I still can't believe that O/C, way cool.

I am a construction worker and I talk like a truck driver...(no offence to ANY of th e trucking industry but it is a saying so I am using it)...but it takes too long just to post normally , I have to find the keys befor I can push them down and to swear in the forum for #1 is a NO-NO although I am guilty of it I know but NOT ANYMORE #2 Senior members are there for a reason (THEY ARE OLD ) ROFLMAO but seriosly they help maintain where the others cant so ... if you have a problem with that then I say GOOD RIDENCE ,cya ,dont let the door hit ya in the gludious maximus on the way out ,viacondios,sionara, so long , bye bye later aligator , aloha !!!!

hey silent bob i agree with you man, i swear profusly, i am a fleet mechanic and am often P O'ed by the fords i have to deal with all day, but i also get a bit P O'ed with my machine here, but i dont vent on people about it with profanity, i do that offline lol, it simply isn't necisary to swear here it just doesn't accomplish anything, but to displace your frustration onto others. and let me tell you i got enough of my own and i certanly dont want anyone elses

Somebody at AMD was very very naughty!!!!!

Andy you either got some of the chips never sopposed to see the light of day (the first Palomino(Desktop) and Morgan test chips were delayed due to FAB issues, somebody correct me if I'm wrong), or somebody leaked new chips (Morgans) before their release date (September I think).

If you got the Morgan see if you can get a desktop palomino from the same source. I have a little bet on with a friend that only the very extreme lucky will get 2 GHz with Palomino's before year end. Proof me right or wrong.

Having been here awhile, I understand completely the reasoning why swearing is NOT allowed. I respect that. And judging by the rate at which the membership of these forums has literally EXPLODED recently, I think its safe to say we DON'T NEED swearing to "attract" people. Quite the opposite, it puts people OFF. Is swearing a part of life, yes. Is it a REQUIRED part of life, NO !!

Isn't there enough swearing going on in the world?? Do we HAVE TO make it a requirement to post here?? Is that the point? Why do we have to ADD to it? We don't.

If Andy said he got that chip to run that fast by duct taping an ice cube to it, I'd believe him.

Please respect the rules of these forums set out by those who founded it (Joe, Skip, Ed, and Daniel). The rules are a means to an end, that all of us should have a safe place to discuss ideas an techniques of maximizing the performance of our computers.

Mr B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back