• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cmos settings wrong?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

run_ovr_sqrrl

i was screwing around with my bios, and i changed something ... my comp didnt load as normal so i took out the mobo battery and put it back in to reset things. although when i rebooted it says the CMOS settings are wrong ... any troubleshppting tips?

also if you are going to tell me to use the jumpers, please expain how i use those!

thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

Your CMOS (Complimentary Metal Oxide Semiconductor) settings are saved in a chip that uses a battery to keep the data. WHen you cleared it, it went to your BIOS (Basic Input Output System) chip for the initial settings.

The BIOS setting will usually be for a 1000 MHz chip or something, and the system is telling you that you will need to go into your CMOS settings, and reset them for the hardware that is actually installed. You'll usually have to set it for the CPU that you have, (or to the speed that you are actually running it at) reset the time, and all of the other changes that you have made. Things like disabling the bootup floppy seek, setting your primary harddrive first in the boot order for a faster boot up, enabling or disabling your onboard sound, etc.

You may want to make notes of how you have everything set at first for the next time you have to clear your CMOS to boot up. Because there will be a next time. :D

There should be no jumpers for any of this, unless you have a very old motherboard. The only jumper will probably be for clearing your CMOS, and pulling your battery works just as well. But using the jumper, if your motherboard has one, would probably be quicker.

I'd also reccommend that you read the motherboard's manual. Don't have it? Most manufacturers have one on their sites in the PDF format for free.

Back