Thread: shim!!!!

Disabled

shim!!!!

i bought this TweakMonster AMD CPU Shim http://www.dangerden.com/mall/Misc_Hardware/ramsink.asp and it says match the cut corner of the shim with the cut corner on a processor only problem that my cpu does not have either of its corners cut to match up only the bottom 2 corner where the pins line up w the socket.
    what should i do how should i set it up?

cpu is a 1700 tbred ahiub 319 b core

thanks!!!

match the cut corner of the shim with the cut corner on a processor
    They are refurring to the little triangle printed on one of the corners of your cpu.

The triangle on your chip should be pointing to the pivot of the lever on the socket.
    FOLD!!!

Disabled
    omg thanks a lotttttttttttttttttt im just putting my sistem together and i was stuck !

thanks again

K just a qick Q, why do people buy these things? They CPU has the black foam circles on them, don't they bot hdo the same thing

Senior Overclocking Magus felinusz's Avatar
    Well, some heatsinks (Thermaltake heatsinks in particular) have a tendency to crush your CPU with little or no effort.

Poorly designed heatsinks (Thermaltake heatsinks in particular) are also extremely difficult to get on and off without applying undue pressure to the processor while getting the retention clips over the socket - crushing the processor.

Myself, I just avoided crummy, poorly designed heatsinks (like Thermaltake heatsinks!) when I used air cooling, and used the little white foam pads that come with all Thermalright SLK heatsinks instead of a shim. Shims raise your temperatures, and they cost money.

shim raise your temp? Hows that possible. Didnt they measesure the height?

Ye but i know shim doesnt help much.

MameXP,
    My Heatware

Verified paypal

Well, the shim keeps some of the heat trapped near the processor - the shim is made of copper and will absorb heat, and make a sort of "heat-seal".

They work really well for protecting CPUs, but will raise temperatures by a good degree or two.

which is fine if your cooling can cope! like mine! Ive only got a shim because I crushed a core with my heatsink so didn't want to do it again!
    |Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz (1333Mhz FSB)|Shuttle SG33G5|ASUS Radeon 4850 (1GB DDR3)|Kingston 4GB DDR2 PC2-6400 HyperX|250GB Maxtor(MaXLine Plus II)|Windows XP Home|Windows Vista Home 32bit|

Originally posted by MameXP
    shim raise your temp? Hows that possible. Didnt they measesure the height?

Ye but i know shim doesnt help much.

MameXP,
    Shims work by having themselves in contact with both the substrate and HS when you mount it. This contact reduces the likelihood of expensive sand but also decreases core contact pressure. Decrease in pressure = worse thermal conductivity from core -> HS.

Insatiably Malcontent
    K just a qick Q, why do people buy these things? They CPU has the black foam circles on them, don't they bot hdo the same thing
    It's also cheap insurance. The foam circles will give a lot more than a metal plate will, and there's a higher chance of crushing your core that way. This is especially true with heavier heatsinks, and especially waterblocks.
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 | 2500K @ 4.6GHz | 2x4GB Samsung DDR3 | GTX 750 Ti 2GB
    120GB Crucial M4 | 2x 2TB Samsung F4 | Seasonic S12 600w
    y2 DAC --> Custom M^3 --> Custom LM3875 ChipAmp --> Modula MTs
    Dual Dell 2007WFP | Watercooled

Decrease in pressure = worse thermal conductivity from core -> HS.
    Makes more sense than a "Heat absorber/seal", which is what I *thought* was the reason for the temperature increase

If you are watercooling with a socket mount block, or using a prommie, than a shim is a cheap safety blanket. I remember reading a post by a guy who had just installed his new prommie, only to find thet he had crushed his Barton - a $10 shim woulda saved him probably.