• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Compaq using Asus motherboards now

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NiTrO bOiE

They are using the Aus P4C800-E Deluxe in their X09 computer system. Does anyone know if they still have the overclocking features enabled in the bios?

It's doubtful that they would leave you with the ability to flash it with a standard ASUS BIOS. A friend of mine had an old Tyan S1854 motherboard that used to be in a Micron PC. We'd tried numerous tricks to flash it to the standard Tyan BIOS, but they all failed. You may be able to hot-flash the BIOS using another board, but that's about all I could think of...

i just set one up for display at work.
i meant to check the bios, but kept getting distracted with other things, like setting up a lan in the store, and selling stuff.
will try to remember to check it out tomorrow.

its not surprising that this happened

HP has used MOSTLY asus motherboards for YEARS, back to 1996 if not earlier

compaq on the other hand was THE last holdout designing and manufacturing their own motherboard designs

HP im sure cut this whole division (except maybe for servers) and is going back to their long time supplier Asus...

and no, you WONT be able to overclock them or flash an asus bios on it

How did compaq "design and manufactor their own motherboards"? AFAIK, they've always used Intel boards (at least that's what is in this one). And I've been able to flash it with the standard BIOS (has the intel logo instead of the Compaq logo.)

nipster said:
its not surprising that this happened

HP has used MOSTLY asus motherboards for YEARS, back to 1996 if not earlier

compaq on the other hand was THE last holdout designing and manufacturing their own motherboard designs

HP im sure cut this whole division (except maybe for servers) and is going back to their long time supplier Asus...

and no, you WONT be able to overclock them or flash an asus bios on it

My cousin had an old HP 266celeron that also had an Asus motherboard. but no changeable settings in the BIOS. but i wasnt interested in overclocking it so never tried and now its in the trash somewhere.

theflyingrat said:
It's doubtful that they would leave you with the ability to flash it with a standard ASUS BIOS. A friend of mine had an old Tyan S1854 motherboard that used to be in a Micron PC. We'd tried numerous tricks to flash it to the standard Tyan BIOS, but they all failed. You may be able to hot-flash the BIOS using another board, but that's about all I could think of...

Did you try any 3rd-party flash programs that allow you to force the flash onto boards the BIOS doesn't think it's supposed to go on? You should be able to at least flash the BIOS that way, although if it's the wrong bios you'll end up with a board that won't boot.

Yeah, compaq used to be infamous for being nearly impossible to upgrade. Why is HP still making computers under the compaq name?

NEWS FLASH

the X09 Compaq CAN be overclocked. the bios has settings for 5%, 10%, 20%, & 30%
you can also change the ram timings, and there was an option to change voltages and fsb

it's nothing like their other stock boxes. but why would they encourage, or even allow people to void warranties? wait a second, that could actually be a good thing....... if they could prove that overclocking was actually done.

it still costs way too much.

Back