• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

anyone tried Voice over IP for their phone?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I used one at my friends school. It has a really cool LCD information display. Voice clarity seemed fine. I didn't notice any issues, but I have not used VOIP for extended periods.

I not sure that it is main stream enough for personal/resitendital uses just yet. Its best for inter-company calling and multi-location calling. The companies usually own and maintain their own PBXes and Netwoorks too.

I know a few people with voip phones and they love them.

They do stuff like vpn from their house to their work, have the phone at home. People can call their work extension and the voip phone at home will ring. And of course they've got a voip pbx bridge thingy at their work, so the voip phone is bridged onto the plain old telephone system.

There is good oss voip software out there too, so you can set up your own voip pbx at home, have your computers or pda act like a voip phone and call between each other. I've seen live demonstrations a few times and it is pretty spiffy.

www.vovida.org

kinda off topic, but a friend of mine has been working on security stuff for VOIP for several months now. some government agency (he usually works for the NSA) paid to have a computer system set up in their lab here at school to simulate a real VOIP system (big $$$!).

A computer doesn't have to simulate a real voip system, it can *be* a real voip system.

I've had Vonage for about a month now and I love it.

The only minor annoyance I've delt with is transfering my phone number from MCI to Vonage. It takes bloody ages. It's not Vonages fault though. You send Vonage a letter of authorization (LOA), they send it to your carrier the same day and say "give me this phone number". The carriers are the ones that drag it out. In the mean time Vonage gives you a temp number that's local to your area.

I used to have a 1.5Mb down 256Kb up cable connection. With that I could do anything I wanted. Since I'm about to be unemployed, I downgraded my connection to 256 down 256 up to save money (also the reason I got Vonage). With my new connection, Surfing the net and talking on the phone isn't really practical (sound gets choppy during page loads).

Other than that everything is great. I even took the router and my phone with me to Canada a few weeks ago as my hotel room had a broadband connection. That was kinda cool.

UberBlue said:
With my new connection, Surfing the net and talking on the phone isn't really practical (sound gets choppy during page loads).

Thats what I am worrying about.....I have a 1.5/300 cable connection and was wondering if I can still game plus use a mic to talk over the net with my gaming buddy (picophone) and still have the girlfriend talk on the phone without interuptions???

Fightingpiper said:

Thats what I am worrying about.....I have a 1.5/300 cable connection and was wondering if I can still game plus use a mic to talk over the net with my gaming buddy (picophone) and still have the girlfriend talk on the phone without interuptions???

You should be fine. with my 1.5/256 connection, I got a hair up my butt and decided to download a huge file I've had my eye on for awhile. With a 240k download going, I was yacking up a storm with my gilfriend without any problems. And you have more upload bandwidth than I do/did.

It just dawned on me that example didn't tax the upload bandwidth. But with 300 up, you should be fine.

You really need to be sure you want to do this. Vonage charges a $60 disconnect fee for any reason.

What I want is something I can use with my actual phones skype is a P2P proggy that only runs on the computer and can only call peeps with that program. I am looking at having my actual phone calls over my net connection. I already use a program like skype for my gaming and it works great its called Picophone. Its a wonderful little program with great sound quality. Much better for me and my gaming friend than say teamspeak, roger wilco, etc.......

The devices that bridge voip onto the normal phone network are pretty expensive.

[thread jack]

man, i just started looking around that vonage page, and thats pretty awesome! to bad they dont have it available here yet. i will definately be looking into that sometime.

[/thread jack]

Vonage gives it to you free. It's even a Cisco device.

Interesting... I always thought the voip->pbx modules for the Cisco 2600s were pretty expensive.

XWRed1 said:

Interesting... I always thought the voip->pbx modules for the Cisco 2600s were pretty expensive.

Mine's a Cisco ATA 186.

You need to look at it this way. DirecTV and Dish Network both give away equipment valued at $100's for free hoping that you will keep the service long enough to pay off the equipment and make some profit. That why with those free offers you have to sign a 1 year agreement. Same thing with cell phones.

Vonage just charges a flat $60 disconnect fee. Besides, you gotta figure their overhead is minimal. What are they really paying for? They aren't responsible for any of the telephone infrastructure, all they do is provide equipment and provide a service.

[thread jack]

man, i just started looking around that vonage page, and thats pretty awesome! to bad they dont have it available here yet. i will definately be looking into that sometime.

[/thread jack]

If you can get broadband, Vonage will work, at least I thought. I never heard them say not available everywhere.

Last edited:
i have vonage for about 4 month and i like it. wasn't all trouble free for me thou
although i have broadband 10/2 i had issues with the voice dropping out during calls.
however, i don't have it setup as it is recommended either. mine is actually running behind my firewall/ router. i was able to control it with QoS thou and it works fine now

it has a lot of neat features and everything you can think of is included and then some.
verizon would have charged me nearly $50.- for nationwide service and thats not including any fancy calling features. i pay less then half now

My father bought me magicjack about a year ago. $40 for initial purchase item and 1yr service, $20 a year after that. Several people I know use skype, but hate it as they get horrible reception when someone is on a cell phone. Do not know if this is a skype issue or what. However, Magicjack has served me well enough that I am more than happy to renew next year and to the point I have discontinued my land line.

Back