• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VIA Apollo KT400 Chipset? yay or Nay?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sphinxsphere

Registered
im looking at getting a new Epox EP-8K9AI to overclock my athlon xp 2200. i know that an Nforce 2 chip would probly be better but i cant find a good OCing one in my price range round 60 bucks. well would that chipset be good anyways? for overclockin my xp2200

why go via? get a single channel nforce2 boards from well known manufacturers and you'll be much happier later ...
soltek has one (nv-400 if I'm not mistaken), so does asus (a7n8x-x) ... they both work pretty well, and much better than kt400 in any way imaginable (support of 400fsb officially is one example)

well im also looking at a shuttle AN35N400 which im makeing sure can OC well. is there anywhere i can find a good review of it?

sphinxsphere said:
im looking at getting a new Epox EP-8K9AI to overclock my athlon xp 2200. i know that an Nforce 2 chip would probly be better but i cant find a good OCing one in my price range round 60 bucks. well would that chipset be good anyways? for overclockin my xp2200

Wait till you can save an extra $40 and get an NForce. Well worth it. My opinion, for what it's worth. (That and $2 will get you a beer! :beer: )

Look at the Shuttle AN35N Ultra - Dual-channel not AN35N 400 Single channel its $48.00 after rebate @ NewEgg and others. You'll get 215-220FSBs with decent RAM and 230FSB+ with really good memory and some luck. I've run my 1700+ @2324mhz stable on this rig. Good Luck!
Regards, Balrog

I agree with previous comments:

1. nForce2
2. KT600
3. KT400

If you shop around you should be able to find a lower end KT600, if not an nForce2, in your price range.

Back