• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCing my AMD Athlon XP 1.6ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

z3r0

Right now its at 133 to run at 1600. If its at 100 it runs at 1050. What do I need to take up to start OCing this chip? I have an Asus A7N8X Deluxe Retail. Do I just take up the FSB of the mobo and the multiplier? I am new to OCing, I have read a few FAQs but still a little curious, and want to make sure.

Well, the 1600 was never produced as a Tbred so it's a Palomino which is difficult to unlock. You'll need to close the L1 bridges to unlock it. Check the sticky for directions. That's for the most effective overclock: lower the multiplier and up the FSB. However, if you'd rather, you can just raise the FSB as high as the RAM/CPU will allow.

~THT

Top Hat Theater said:
Well, the 1600 was never produced as a Tbred so it's a Palomino which is difficult to unlock. You'll need to close the L1 bridges to unlock it. Check the sticky for directions. That's for the most effective overclock: lower the multiplier and up the FSB. However, if you'd rather, you can just raise the FSB as high as the RAM/CPU will allow.

~THT

that's not true. They surely sold T-Bred A OEM chips in the XP1600 variety. I know because I built a system with one.

z3r0 said:
What exactly is it called that I take it up to take up the FSB?

What? I have no clue what you're asking...

If you have an XP 1600+, it's default FSB is 133MHz DDR (266) and it's default multiplier is 10.5x for a speed of 1.4GHz. If it is a palomino (as it probably is) the best you could get out of it with air cooling and "reasonable" voltage is about 1.8GHz, and that's if it is one of the later ones. Why don't you post everything it says on top of the CPU core so we can assess how well it may overclock. If it is a pally, it's also multiplier locked, but you can raise the FSB. You can also unlock it, as per the directions refrenced to in the sticky. What RAM and motherboard do you have? THese help determine how far you can overclock.

I have an Asus A7N8X Deluxe Retail Motherboard with kingston 512mb PC2700 HyperX Series Ram. I also have an SLK-900-A and a Smart Case Fan II.

So all I can take up is the 133 to 166 or 200, or however high it will go? ANd that is all I can do? I THINK I can actually mess with the multiplier.

I just checked. I took the CPU FSB up to 200 the first time and when I restarted it said it was at 1050mhz. So I went into Bios again and sent it to 166 and now its at 1750mhz. Also, I CAN take up the multiplier. I just set it to Menu and I can take up or down the multiplier by .5 each time. Its at 10.5 now and I didn't mess with it. What do I need to do with it and what does it really do? Also, do I need to take Vcore up? Isn't that the one that gives more voltage to the CPU for more stability?

1750mhz is not a bad oc for a pally, mine barely did 1700. If I were you i'd invest in one of these cheap 1700's you find around here. They usualy do at least 2300mhz. Also, only take the vcore up if its unstable, and dont take it past 1.85v, because in my opinion thats suicidal for a chip. Also also, you can make your fsb whatever you want, you just have to set your system to user defined. Find that "sweet spot". Mine is 2000mhz(200x10).

Above 1.85v is much less suicidal on a pally then it is on a Tbred. Just because you can change the multiplier selection in your BIOS doesn't mean the CPU is unlocked. See what happens if you actually save the changes and reboot. It may not post at all, or it may work, but still at its default multiplier. 1750 is, however, a good Pally OC. That's 350MHz over the stock speed. On the A7N8X, you *should* be able to get more precise FSB control. You might be able to work the cpu a little higher with 1MHz FSB incriments. Have you read the motherboard manual yet? I usually read mine before I take the rest out of the box.

A duron running at 1.4GHz is not comprabale to an AXP 1600+. It has only 64K of L2 cache, a big performance hit. It is a 1.4GHz Applebred Duron, not an athlon-xp 1600+ palomino. Setting that aside, have you tried unlocking the rest of the cache on that?

edit: z3r0, any progress with your cpu?

I haven't messed with it anymore. When I put it to 200 CPU FSB it didn't post. But I hit restart and then it posted and I got into BIOS and changed it back to 166. How do I manually take up the FSB by 1? I found out how to take it up by 100/133/166/200. And I can also take up the multiplier. I don't think I will mess with Vcore. Also, its stable and I have had no problems yet at all.

I just got my Radeon 9800 Pro as well.

Weel, after trying to play Halo, my computer started locking up. So I turned it back down to 133 instead of 166 and now its at what its supposed to run at, 1.4. If I leave the CPU FSB at 133, and take up the multiplier from 10.5. Would that also take up the mhz of the chip?

If your multiplier is unlocked, raising the multi will increase the speed of your chip. Since you probably have a Palomino, it is most likely locked. Did you give it a voltage bump? What are you using for stability testing? prime95 is a good program to srart with.

Also, what I can gather from reviews of the motherboard is that there are more varried FSB settings on the board. Perhaps you should re-read the manual:
http://www.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=A7N8X Deluxe

Here is a good Athlon Overclcoking guide:
http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide&dId=376

I didn't use a stability tester. The first time I got into Halo it locked up. I didn't mess with the voltage, I Just forgot to think about taking up the voltage. Its not safe to take it over 1.85? IS that what it is?

I'd actually be fine with 1.9v on a Palomino core, if I had good enough cooling. The higher the voltage, the higher the risk to your CPU. A small voltage bump probably won't cause too many problems and will shorten the life of your CPU only by a small amount. The larger the voltage bump, the riskier it is. Better coolings helps fight this. Before you start going insane with the voltage, be sure you know exactly what you're doing. I am not what you would call a risk taker. I've never taken a Palomino over 1.85 volts. At 1.85voltts I kept my on-die temp at or under 39C. I suppose I was a little more gung-ho with my thoroughbred B, It's default voltage was 1.6, I've had it at 1.75 and at 52C. But, it was stable. In my laptop, according to ACPI my CPU temperature has hit 89C. But it was at 1.5GHz (default) and 1.45volts (also default). It was also a mobile CPU.

So do you think I should take up the multiplayer by .5 each time to see if it makes a difference?

Or just take up the FSB back up to 166 and take up the Vcore? I think Idle right now my CPU is running at 38-40C

Back