• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommend Socket 423 mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You'll need to look on ebay or someplace like CompGeeks to find a S423 board.

Most S423 Willamettes won't even OC well (maybe 10% if you're lucky) anyway, it's basically a lost cause. There's not much reason to throw money into something like that. The Willamettes are pretty crappy CPU's even if they're OCed.

yeah, I know all of that..

I want someone to tell me what motherboard they know is a good one for it though, and I already have the processor and know it well..

I'm very happy with my 1.5ghz, it beats every other computer in the house..and we have a $1,000 P4 478 1.8ghz with more RAM and all..

Edit: It has to have DDR266 support, no PC133 or Rambus.

Last edited:
If the 1.8GHz socket 478 P4 is on a m/b with SDRAM, that might explain why the performance is worse. In any case I'm not sure why you'd want to spend any money for a socket 423 m/b, just to try to OC a Willamette P4 a little bit (which is about all you can expect out of it). The best m/b by far for OC'ing a socket 423 would be based on the 850 chipset, i.e. RDRAM. AFAIK socket 423 and DDR support is going to land you back with the same Via chipset you've already got.

Abit TH-7. I was stuck with a 1.5 willy too as my main rig for a long time, and ran quite a while on one. Perhaps I loved it because it was my first intro to Abit, but the board is about as nice as you can get for S423 anyway.

yes, with an adaptor..

I have given up, I will just get better cooling for a while..until I get my 2.4c

Back