• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

installing a new motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sphinxsphere

Registered
when i install a new motherboard i know i have to put in the XP disc again and it will kinda like install it again but when this happens do i lose any data, and also i have like 3 xp discs around the house lol does it matter which one i use?? like do i have to use the same one with the same seriel as before? or can i just grab a random one?

You are talking about installing XP over the top of your old installation. No, this will not erase any data, but you really should completely reinstall XP. If you have your data on one partition, you can install XP to another, then all you will have to do is reinstall drivers and apps, and your data will remain intact.

Your XP liscense gives you permission to use that copy of XP on one computer. If you have the other two copies installed on 2 other computers, you legally must use the third copy on the computer in question here.

well i dont think i wanna partion my HD whats the downside of just installing it over? and the thing about installing xp on it again is it a matter of right and wrong or that i can or cant?

Reasons you should partition your hard drive:
1) ability to reinstall OS at will while keeping data intact
2) smaller partitions allow for less fragmentation

Reasons to completely reinstall XP:
1) an install over the top may leave traces of old motherboard drivers
2) Reinstalling completely (after a reformat) starts everything fresh and guarantees no confilcts.

"and the thing about installing xp on it again is it a matter of right and wrong or that i can or cant?"
you will physically be able to install XP with any of your 3 WinXP CDs. Also, I beleive any of your 3 product keys will work. However, you have to activate WinXP before 30 days after installation, and I'm pretty sure bad things would happen if you activated two copies that used the same product key on two diffrent computers - this violates the EULA. If you truly have 3 copies of XP, what's the big deal in matching up the right product key? You should have each product key sticker on the computer it is installed on to avoid confusion; mine is one the inside of my case door.

what do you mean i have to activate it?? my freind mostly built my computer so sry if i dont know much lol.

With XP you must activate unless you have a corporate version, which I am sure you don't, with windows xp to prevent piracy you must activate your copy through Microsoft with your serial via phone or Internet so its legit...I think I am correct?

Check this thread here which will show you how to move your XP system disk to a new motherboard without loading XP again. This method is even semi-officially supported by Microsoft as it comes right off of their support site.

well what do you guys think about putting all my data that i need to my friends HD. then reformatting and installing xp. would that work and i wouldnt get in any legal issues?

Back