• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Putting a twist on things..."A Virtual Pictorial Journal"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That would be awesome. A new way to mod or build cases. I ought to be helping. Now i just need my new pc to run maya ple.
And for the fan blades, try a quad patch, they work nicely for things like that. I will certainly help model, but I am reformatting my hdd soon so I am just gonna wait till that is done before reinstalling my 3d modelling software.

Last edited:
Aighty...here is how the PSU is coming along. It is a Vantec Stealth 470W.

PSUvantec-no%20texture.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm this seems to be a very nobel (or possibly novle, depends on how you look at its practicality) idea. Very interested in seeing how it turns out. I may have to steal your Idea for a few other (expensive) projects I am working on. You seem to be coming along nicely, it is obvious that you have put a great deal of time/effort into this and it is a wonderfull thing to see.

Good luck.

Someone may want to get NCBaller's phone # so we can make sure he didn't destroy his comp or kill himself over the mobo :eek:

Man...that's looking good. Yeah...I thought about the perils of the mobo as well, but we'll see what happens. I wish I had autoCAD. Know where I can get a trial version or something?

oh...man...I haven't even ventured there yet. THAT is something I am NOT looking forward too! damn...that is going to be like a month long project right there. I may have to cut down on the detail for that one a little. I just looked at my IC7 and started to cry...lol

Oh and...

:D:D:DHAPPY TURKEY DAY EVERYONE!!!:D:D:D

and then think of the graphics card, or a heatsink, seems all those fins so close together will be tricky not to make them connect...

Robrules18 said:
and then think of the graphics card, or a heatsink, seems all those fins so close together will be tricky not to make them connect...

Do wanna see this ever get done??? lol Then don't remind me of the ruff road ahead!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, with the way CAD works, it isnt too hard to model something. Just time consuming. Everything on a board doesnt have to be constructed to the littlest detail, the rendering and texturing is what gives everything detail. Without going into every little detail, but still keeping a fair amount, I could model a motherboard in about 2-5 days spending about 2-3 hours each day. Now texturing and rendering is a different story.

Robrules18 said:

CAD lets you define how far away you want a certain object to be from another. Unlike 3Dsmax or Lightwave where most of it is from eyeballing unless you are good with placing objects by coordinates.

There is a lot of misconception as to how hard CAD is to use. Trust me, its not. I went to a highschool which was not regarded for its academics, and we were the top school in California in CAD work.

cupidr17 said:

CAD lets you define how far away you want a certain object to be from another. Unlike 3Dsmax or Lightwave where most of it is from eyeballing unless you are good with placing objects by coordinates.

OHHH, well Im still learning CAD and sometimes my lines will jump to a vertex on another shape etc. But thanks for the tip, and Dont quit NCballer, just remeber: you can do it, put your back into it". :D

I noticed that you said that you were in school; is that how you got the software? I know that even with my school discount, AutoCAD 2003 limited is like $600!!! I would love to get into this stuff but $$ is holding me back (that and finding a good school for computer graphic design in my area). Any thoughts or responces on where to get for cheaper or free (trail vesions) would be great. If any of you guys know where to get trial versions that would be great too, so I could see what I do and don't like. I could look these up myself but, I would like expert opinions on what is good and what is not from guys I trust. Thanks!!

dreadlord79 said:
I noticed that you said that you were in school; is that how you got the software? I know that even with my school discount, AutoCAD 2003 limited is like $600!!! I would love to get into this stuff but $$ is holding me back (that and finding a good school for computer graphic design in my area). Any thoughts or responces on where to get for cheaper or free (trail vesions) would be great. If any of you guys know where to get trial versions that would be great too, so I could see what I do and don't like. I could look these up myself but, I would like expert opinions on what is good and what is not from guys I trust. Thanks!!

I don't even use a school discount for any of my software. I have a rather wealthy uncle (electrical engineer, and when I say wealthy, I mean he did the lighting in one of Bill Gates houses, did the lighting in the Atlanta airport, etc.) who sends me all of his outdated software when he gets new stuff. So I have AutoCAD 2002, and when he gets say AutoCAD 2005, then I will have AutoCAD 2004...you get the idea. All my copies are all legit...EXCEPT for 3ds Max (it just magically appeared on my computer one day :rolleyes: ). I will ask my uncle if maybe he can buy it for me if I really get into this 3D stuff, that or Maya 5. These programs cost thousands of dollars. Both are leading 3d and animation programs in the movie industry. Maya 5 was used for the visual effects in "Lord of The Rings”, multiple Disney movies, and I believe "Shriek".

Here are some trials you can either download or order:

3ds Max 6 (30 day trial) Download:
http://www.discreet.com

AutoCAD 2004 (30 day trial) Order:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=2498222&linkID=2475161

Maya 5 Learning Edition (look at the site for different options)
http://www.aliaswavefront.com/eng/products-services/maya/maya_ple/index.shtml

-NCB

Aighty...time for a baby update. Got bored while waiting for 6:00am to roll around (waiting for some Best Buy and Circuit City shopping (I just stayed up all night cause I wouldn't have gotten up otherwise lol) so I did a little work on the ol' PSU. It is just about done. I might add a little more detail to some of the switches, but probably not. There aren't any textures applied yet...once I get the fans done I will add them along with a fan grills.

I also included a screen shot of the power supply during construction in 3ds Max 4. Most of the vertices and polys are all screwed up because I import CAD files for the actual PSU and then I add detail (with things that don't need to be exact in size) in 3ds Max, such as switches, etc. So Max reads all the poly lines and vertices really weird from CAD files. If I had modeled it in Max, the lines would all be neat and organized into small squares or triangles. But it still looks fine rendered, which is all that matters :D.

Switches and Plug-Ins:
PSUvantec-closeup.jpg

Screen Shot:
cadscreen3.jpg

Last edited:
Back