• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Putting a twist on things..."A Virtual Pictorial Journal"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Chris_F said:
This is coming out really nice. Do you think you can list all the parts that will be in the final Virtual PC?

The parts I model will all depend on a few things:

1. Motivation

2. Time

3. Motivation

4. Motivation

If I stay with it and do my whole case mod in 3D, then here is what I think it will have:

-Abit IC7 Max3
-Lian-Li PC75
-Case Fans
-Cascade Water Block
-DD NB Waterblock
-Enhiem Pump
-Antec True 550W
-9800pro XT
-BenQ 17" LCD
-Lite-ON CD-RW and a DVD drive
-Some kind of Fan controller
-CCFL's
-Tubing (water cooling)
-Anything else I decide to throw in!!!

Only thing is it is kinda hard to model parts I don't currently have. I will be HOPEFULLY be ordering all this stuff in the next few months. Until then I will continue modeling anything I already have and also I just got a like 900 page on 3ds Max. I am going to try and get better with the modeling. That will save me a lot time, as my pace right now makes a turtle look like speeding bullet.

Damn book was freagin' $50!!!!!!! *sigh*

that motherboard is going to be hard. All the caps and stuff... good luck.

It's looking great. Wouldn't it be great if there was a library of virtual parts, so that us O/Cers could construct our PCs before we order parts?

dreadlord79 said:
I noticed that you said that you were in school; is that how you got the software? I know that even with my school discount, AutoCAD 2003 limited is like $600!!! I would love to get into this stuff but $$ is holding me back (that and finding a good school for computer graphic design in my area). Any thoughts or responces on where to get for cheaper or free (trail vesions) would be great. If any of you guys know where to get trial versions that would be great too, so I could see what I do and don't like. I could look these up myself but, I would like expert opinions on what is good and what is not from guys I trust. Thanks!!
Go to barnes and noble or borders and look for a magazine called 3d World. It is printed in the UK so it cost about $13, from time to time they have complete 3d apps on the coverdisk. The only restriction is usually its a slightly older version and can only render images 400x600. For around $100 you can upgrade to the full version (in the case of Cinema 4d)

NcBaller - Nice work. Just wait untill you get to do the p/s cables :D

Here is the Zalman NB I have been working on. It's all done finally...took me a while to get it completed.

Zalman.jpg

Zalman2.jpg

AutoCAD Screen Shot

Last edited:
mmm, so let me get this straight...
you construct the items in AutoCAD, then you import them into 3DS-Max?

If so, would you be willing to share some of your AutoCAD files? I am just starting to teach myself AutoCAD, and any CAD files I can get my hands on helps me learn a little more about how it works. Not to mention, I've been trying for a little while now to build PC components in 3DS-Max for my own PC building purposes.

i have had the idea of making a 3d replica of my pc for a while. But never got around to it. I just finished my 1st autocad class in college. and to test out my skills did this.
Heatsink11.jpg

Just an old heatsink laying around on my table. I think i can contribute to this project. If we get a couple more people, we can make an online library of Autocad computer parts.
What do you think ?

Very Nice Work Guys... a couple of the guys in my shop make a GOOD chunk of change doing CAD for the CNC machines in the shop!!!
almost 6 figures a year!!!! $$$$$

Charlie

lol you can tell the diff between AutoCAD rendered ones and 3dStudio max rendered ones... but all thsoe are good im gettin better slwoly but surely so i may be able to do simple parts soon.

yeah im trying to get into that side of my trade im a tool n die maker
not that much all for it anymore
so back the the drawing board so to speek

Borgy

good job keep up the max skills if you need a few pointers dont be afraid to ask me!

wow this is some really nice work. learning 3d modeling is definately in my "things to learn but I don't have the time for" list. I want to be able to do this kind of stuff! Where is a good place to start. i have done some 2d CAD work. Not a whole lot though. I hear that 3d studio is hard, is it?

That is not 3d studio. I make a 3d part in Autocad2002, which i just learned this past term, at college. Then i open the part in Autodesk Inventor 6. Its very similar to autocad, acutally made by the same company but it has more textures, its more user friendly etc.... You can render directly in Autocad, but very limited in options. Learning basic 3ds is on my "to do list" over winter break. Also 3d modeling in Autocad is really easy, its just combining and subtracting basic shapes, such as boxes, cones, cylinders, extruded objects, etc... I'll look around and see if i can find a tutorial.
Hm... this post is geting long.

Edit. forgot somethign: Is it possible for one of the forum members to organize a database of parts, so we can all upload Autocad 3d parts there. Soon we would have a large library of parts. I would do organize such a intereactive online library if i knew how.

Last edited:
Borisw37 said:
Edit. forgot somethign: Is it possible for one of the forum members to organize a database of parts, so we can all upload Autocad 3d parts there. Soon we would have a large library of parts. I would do organize such a intereactive online library if i knew how.

I plan on doing this...I already have sufficent space on my personal website and I own my own domain name. I will arrange an FTP account for everyone doing any modeling and just let you upload them on my site...then I will arrange them and have them avaliable for download.

I already got some stuff up....no 3d models yet though. Still working on finishing up the rest of my site first. :D

http://www.ncballer1985.com/resources/

-NCB

NcBaller1985 said:

I plan on doing this...I already have sufficent space on my personal website and I own my own domain name. I will arrange an FTP account for everyone doing any modeling and just let you upload them on my site...then I will arrange them and have them avaliable for download.

I already got some stuff up....no 3d models yet though. Still working on finishing up the rest of my site first. :D

http://www.ncballer1985.com/resources/

-NCB

hey that's exciting! I'll be taking 2 or 3 CAD classes in the spring... (it's not required, but it helps my resume for architectural engineering), and I'll be sure to contribute ;) I'd really like to make a virtual Radeon 9700 :D

Back