• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Putting a twist on things..."A Virtual Pictorial Journal"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NcBaller1985

I am going through and starting to design my next case mod in AutoCAD 2002 and 3ds Max 4. It's going to be a very complicated and detailed total case mod so having a set of planes to go by will greatly help me.

I originally posted this in a different thread and got some response form misc. members and then Steve978 came up with a great idea. Do a virtually case mod journal! Then hopefully this little journal will be followed by a journal of the actual case mod. Just be something different and as I go along with this you will more and more understand why all this planning and designing is necessary.

Well, any who...I am currently designing all the basic computer components i.e. harddrive, heatsinks, cd-roms, mobo, etc. I tried searching for blueprints for a harddrive and got nothing. So I had to do things the ol' fashioned way...measuring everything myself. Boy is that a headache.

All of the parts I design will be put on my website for downloading so anyone designing a custom computer case can use the measurements, etc.

The only thing is right now I don't have access to a caliber, but I will be getting one soon enough to make the measurements "perfect." As of right now, the measurements are accurate up to around 1/32". Once this progresses, I can also bounce ideas off you guys for ideas about the case mod. It’ll be a while before I actually start the real case mod as I am currently making some much needed upgrades to my PC.

Enjoy!

Silversinksam said:
Why the need to ask a mod? this is a great idea and I hope to see more of it. :cool:

Here’s the WD800 Harddrive:

AutoCAD 2002 (un-dimensioned):

3ds Max 4 Render (I know the texturing sucks, I am still learning :))

Click on the pictures to enlarge if you want see better detail (56k beware).

Last edited:
Here's the 80mm case fan I am currently working on. The fan blades are a headache from hell. No textures have been applied.

80mmCaseFan-no%20texture.jpg

Last edited:
WOW!!!

I've used AC'02 and 3DMax before, and I have to say, you're a very patient man, the closest I would come to these models would be just appropriately sized boxes for the parts.

My hat off to you and your patience my good man.

Mmm...sho' is perdy!
I wish I had some skills like that...my head is too stupid to learn it, but oh well.
Nice job with the models...I like the digital then real approach! You will have to do a comparison of the finished digital and the finished real case at the end =)

im really liking the idea. be able to completely lay out your case on your computer before you evey try to build or mod it

pvc_and_frost said:
dang, I even am taking 3d modelling classes with 3ds 5....lets just say perhaps i dont have skillz there..are you modelling every component?

yep..sure am. Even the Zalman NB cooler. I had already modeled it once, but I did a recent reformat and I am not sure if I backed it up or not.

Gonna take me a while to it all though. I still haven't figured out the damn fan blades...there giving me a headache.

Well, I quit on the case fan for a while...the fan blades are driving me up the wall. I did do some work on the CD-ROM drive though. It should be done by the end of tonight...hopefully.

CDRomShell.jpg

Last edited:
I gotta whip out some solidworks action on a next project now, junk. Baller, stop raising the bar on all of us. Youre making us look bad!

I love renders, reminds me of that stupid graphics and engineering design class we all said we wouldnt ever use.

:D

You guys should start a community library, maybe get some others in on it that way there is that many more part to choose from. I would help but my CAD skills are limited to 2D and I only just started Solid Works this semester.
Just my $.02

Hey, I’m doing the hard work here for anybody that wants to do something like this for there next case mod….everything will be downloadable from my website (if I ever finish it :rolleyes: ). Although, I am still debating whether or not to have the 3D Max files for download….I shouldn’t have to do EVERYTHING!!! :D

This whole 3D stuff has really got my attention and even has me debating on switching majors. I’m going to school now for Architecture, wanted to do that since I was like 10. But, now that I am actually going to school and finding out all there is to Architecture and what I would be doing on a daily bases in the “real world,” I am second guessing myself. Granted Architecture is still fun to me and all, but it isn’t all about the “fun stuff” and designing multi-million dollar dream houses. In reality, I would be doing small houses, basic additions, normal commercial buildings, etc. Boring stuff!!! I always told myself that I would one day have a house that I designed on MTV Cribs (my favorite show of course, and if you haven’t seen it, watch it!!! Also all you “older” guys don’t knock it and call it rubbish like my old man did just because it’s on MTV!!! LOL) But as you get older, you start to understand that some of your “dreams” more then likely won’t happen. Not saying you shouldn’t chase your dreams or anything, but some of them can be a little far fetched.

I dunno…guess I’m going through what every 18yr. old goes through. Trying to answer that notorious question “What do I want to do with my life?” I can honestly say that this site and forums has had a large impact on helping me answer that question. I am all about computers now, and I know I want to do something that largely involves them. Like I love the CAD and design aspect of Architecture, but then all those stupid codes and regulations, soil types, water lines, etc. just bore the tee-total hell out of me! I know I will never find a job that I 100% enjoy or that doesn’t have some boring aspect to it…but I dread going to class everyday to hear some teacher lecture about something I am slowly losing interest in. I just ordered some training movies for Maya (a 3D modeling and animation program) and I am going to see if it really interest me or not…before I go and pay thousands of dollars for schooling (especially since I pay for my own school…ouch). This animation and modeling stuff is really appealing to me. Guess I’ll give it shot.

Damn, guess I got into one of those moods to type again…lol. Well, now that you know my life story…:p

-NCB

Last edited:
Stedeman said:
You guys should start a community library, maybe get some others in on it that way there is that many more part to choose from. I would help but my CAD skills are limited to 2D and I only just started Solid Works this semester.
Just my $.02

That's a pretty neat idea!!! And I got your PM, will answer back in few.

On a side note, thanks a lot to all you guys for the multiple PM's I have recieved saying good job, offering help, and giving suggestions. Just another example of the outstanding and good hearted people we have on here on oc.com. I never would have thought this thread would become so popular!

And also it is kind of hard for me to model parts I don't have and since it will be a while untill I can get some of them...if anyone is willing to draft me up some basic 3-view CAD plans with dimensions of any componets, it would be a great help. I am espically wanting some for the Antec True 550W PSU. I mean...a lot of people have them so if you get bored and feeling like drafting...I would love to have the plans for it!!! :D Thanks!

Last edited:
hmm....ive played around with 3d max a bit....never done anything with CAD though...however I'm in this robotics competition thingee and a big local company is sponsoring us soooo.....we are gonna get people to teach that stuff so we can model the robot......once i learn it ill model any component i can get my hands on.....if its not already done by smarter people....(such as NcBaller1985 :D ). anyways...once i haven improved my skills ill let you guys know and begin work on modelling whatever components you need....I'll get a website and all for it...I'm just in high school so I have lots of time....might be a few months before i get the skills to do it though... :(

-mole

3D graphics has really interested me in the last few years too NcBaller...I think I just might go into animation when I finally get to college. The stuff you can do with it is amazing and its a quickly expanding field...good money for lots of fun :)

Hey, Id help out in that idea to make a library of ACAD/3DSMAX files for people. I myself have had my hand in AutoCAD and have remodeled simple things such as an eheim pump to complex objects like a BIONICLE for state fair competitions and stuff. Hehe, if you think fan blades are hard, try modeling the torso to a lego bionicle. But anyway, you have inspired me to start my own virtual pictorial. Oh, and great job on the renders by the way. If you need any help with anything (fan blades..ahem), feel free to ask =)

Now where did i put my caliper?

Back