• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

slot 1 board question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Genjix

ok, i have a slot one, P3 850 mhz board, not sure what model cause I'm at work right now. Here is my question, I tried installing an 80 GB hard drive last night and it would just hang on post, and I tried 2 other 80GB hard drive and same thing. are some older boards like this not compatible with the newer hard drives????

I had a Promise controller hooked into my previous MB (A Gateway :eek: ). I even had the same processor with the P3 850. The card was used for extra drive capacity in my case. I didn't have any problems with it. I can't remember if this is correct since it has been almost 2 years that I had it. Correct me if I'm wrong guys. Most older motherboards will see it as a scsi device. So you might have trouble putting windows on it. Gnufsh is correct though that should solve your problem :cool:

about the SCSI drive...

I think what it is is that you can boot from a "ATAcard/SCSI device"

it shares the same spot in the BIOS..and sometimes only the SCSI is shown because the space is too small to list both of them..

atleast that's the case with my Athlon..

Read what's updated in the latest version of your bios before you try to flash. If it says it will fix your problem, then flash it. Otherwise, don't flash unless you need to (or think a different version is better for overclcoking). If a new BIOS version doesn't fix any issues you have, don't upgrade just to do it.

I didnt order the pci card yet because I was going to order it today but realized that I wont be getting it until next week since thanksgiving is this week. But I was talking to my brother and he mentioned that partitioning it may help. does that make any sense?

Back