• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NEW Water Cooling NB poll

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WC the NB- Overkill?

• Yes

Votes: 190 46.3%
  • No

Votes: 220 53.7%

• Total voters
tantric-5_G.jpg

Why does that setup look so clean to me? Tygon flex is sexy, there's no getting around it.

I'm still all for cooling the Northbridge with a waterblock. A Z-chip is actually cheaper than a Swiftech Bridge cooler, and is a lot quiter, and more efficient. Definetely not overkill for the price, and if you already have a wate circuit, then 'why not?' . A replacement of the stock cooler is usually called for anyways.

Heat polloution caused by the Northbridge isn't really an issue either, how much heat is an nForce 2 400 Northbridge putting out when overvolted? 20W or so? ;)

felinusz said:
Why does that setup look so clean to me? Tygon flex is sexy, there's no getting around it.
I know!!! I want sexy tubing dammit!!!

felinusz said:
Heat polloution caused by the Northbridge isn't really an issue either, how much heat is an nForce 2 400 Northbridge putting out when overvolted? 20W or so? ;)
less, your pump probably puts out more if u have a 300gph one, lol

WOW!! :drool: (Kidd636)
thats a 10 out of 10!!

OK, back to NB water cooling...

i went from water (Koolance copper) to STOCK (Abit), NO OC loss.

(my koolance loop was leaking, so i ditched it and kept my TEC loop. - NB was lapped - Ceramique)

i knew the Koolance WB sucked (about 1/2 the size of the chip, 1/4" tube, etc etc) but... = stock?:(

Well, I guess Kidd636 never stated that the picture was HIS rig...but still. Credit needs to be given where credit is due, and this doesn't look too good. Sorry Liquid_Cooled. :-/

On the other hand Liquid_Cooled, that is one great looking rig you have there! If I can ask my question again..."What chipset block is that? And how is it treating your Max3?"

that is a porotoype Maze4 chipset block from Dangerden. the only made like 2. it has the Canterwood lucite top installed. well, its wrked great so far, i was able to clock my 2.4c at 3.6 (300fsb) and my temps where really good (42c).

Korndog! How COULD you?? :eek:

Do you know if they'll start making Maze4 chipsets available for everyone?

Watercooling the NB is not overkill if you're planning on putting more than 1.8v through it. However, it is possible to replicate the performance of a w/b with noisier air.

Personally, I cannot stand 40mm fans. I use a passive Socket A heatsink, and it works great for me.

not overkill

not over kill.

may cost more to do it but not over kill, waterflow disruption- not much its not putting out so much heat in the fisrt place. but will always keep it nice and cold.

Not overkill. Water cooling is for running 2.1V through your cpu and insane Vdd mods, an passive heatsink with or without a 40mm fan is not enough.

I'm not voting this time: I think both are true. :)

Two of my systems would not benefit from it at all- silent fans and the NB doesn't get too warm anyway.

1 of my systems could probably use it- air-cooled and it does get warm......

1 of my systems had a VERY hot NB and H2O took care of the problem, and added a few more mhz to the overclock. Not to mention it helped cool down my case temp. :)

As in so many things, I think this is a very "system dependent" question- some systems SHOULD have a water cooled NB, others don't need it at all.

Other than the "coolness quotient" anyway! ;)

I know that before I water-cooled my NB I couldn't even touch the stock heatsink. (blue system in sig) Now that I've water-cooled it, I don't have to listen to that noisy 40mm I had on the stock one, and I got my OC up a few Mhz :D

Back