• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NEW Water Cooling NB poll

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WC the NB- Overkill?

• Yes

Votes: 190 46.3%
  • No

Votes: 220 53.7%

• Total voters
This thread was started back in 2003. But no, watercooling the NB is not overkill. I'm going to as soon as I order a WC setup.

I think it's a waiste of time, mine was getting very warm so I put a large passive heatsink on it and it's fine now, no more heat.

Depends on your NB your cooling, I know it was semi-useful w/ the nF2's cause it held the mem controller, but w/ the nF3 and nF4 it isn't as important.

BUT THE nF3 is usually passively cooled, even w/ my DFI board, it gets EXTREMELY hot, too hot to keep touching :/

You do gain something with WC the NB.
But overkil is problem just with restrictive WB.
I personally like NB WB that are as little restrictive as possibe, coz NB needs wery little cooling comparing to CPU and GPU.

I would watercool the NB if I knew that it was problematic and needed to be addressed. If your on a budget, skip the NB block.

i have had the nb water cooled, and havent, i saw no performance increase with the nb block, however i did see a 2c decrease in cpu temp just from pressure drop.

but yea, mostly it preferance, aswell as what chip is used

I will say that many of the motherboards I've bought have a stock cooler on the NB thats just barely above pointless.

But, I'll also say that water cooling a NB is as needed as watercooling a HDD.

What did the old Raptors and WD2000's put out heat wise? Around 8-12 watts, close to 20 on spin up. Isn't 8-12 the average for a NB? Maybe like 15-20 on a board or two on an extreme overclock? Will you get extra performance out of a HDD from watercooling it? No, but can you get more performance out of NB with water then air? Not thinking so. How about a Swiftech MCX159-CU (run passive) as some blocks will run about the same in price or even better, how about an old XP cooler run passively. How many still have these laying around? You might say it's too big to fit but we know thats not hard to get around. I've got a friend that was able to get one to fit under a graphics card using only a dremil to cut a row of blades out, a drill for mounting holes, and his fingers for fanning the rest of the blades out around his card (looks pretty cool).
He's not an engineer nor does he even have machining tools. Actually he did it in the college style dorms he lives in.

Bash if you like, but best I can tell watercooling a NB isn't really for cooling the NB. It's to look pretty.

I just thought I'd bring this thread back up again because I've been debating whether to water-cool the northbridge of a DFI Expert that's on it's way. At first I was against it. Now I'm sort of torn because I see very good arguments for both sides. Here's what I've summarized so far . . .

• Pros
1. It eliminates having a huge heatsink which could be in the way of a graphics cards, etc.
2. It eliminates having a whiney 40mm fan.
3. It allows for higher voltage on the north bridge.
4. In some cases it allows a higher FSB/HTT.
5. It looks cool.

• Cons
1. It can cause more restriction to the water loop, decrease flow rate, and thus increase other temps such as the CPU & GPU (as emphasized in “myth #3” of this article).
3. It usually doesn’t help with overclocking (CPU or FSB/HTT).
4. It can add extra heat to the loop, though very little.
5. It costs extra (~ $35)

Anyone have any additional input/opinion?

I'm sorry, but I can read graphs till I turn blue in the face and it's no substitute for actually trying it out.
So I did.

Adding a Maze4 chipset block to my loop lowered the northbridge temp by an average of 7C without impacting the CPU or GPU temps at all.
nb2.jpg

This had no effect on OCing (which I didn't expect anyway), but a fan was eliminated and temps are lower, so I'm happy.

@ mysterfix - No problem! :)

@ clocker2 - That's very interesting! So did you actually run the same exact setup with and without the northbridge block to eliminate all other variables?

I would like to do that as a test, but it seems like a hassle to re-plumb a nb block back in after everything is already setup. . . . hmm, then again, I was already thinking of cutting a hole in the back of my motherboard tray so that I can easily change a CPU or CPU block whenever I want. (Like tip #3 in this article.) Maybe I'll do the same behind the nb so that I can easily swap out a heatsink for a waterblock. . . Definitely something to consider in order to come to a definitvie answer to this question (as least an answer that will satisfy myself once and for all, I bet some people will still trust the graphs in "professional" reviews more :p)

i said yes because if you have a good board then you dont needa watercool it and it makes more sence to spend money on a good bard then to spend it on a waterblock seeing how it willl decrease the loops performance

IMO the gain from stock->aftermarket cooling is far greater than aftermarket->Water. so it really is overkill.

just adding a small fan greatly improved results using a stock heatsink I dont see how adding it to an already warm WC loop would benefit it more. I suppose if you wanted to go all out you could.

Back