• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

everytime power goes out, dsl wont come back...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twigs

Every time the power goes out, not when I unplug the router, only when the power goes out, the DSL won't connect. I have tried unplugging both the router(Linksys BEFSR41) and the modem(got it with SBC Global DSL, it says speedstream on it) and plugging them back in in different orders or whatever. I eventually end up running the router setup thing and it usually fixes it, only problem is it has to be connected to the internet first to complete the setup. This requires a bunch of moving of cables(put pc directly into modem, connect, go back, put it like it was, run rest of setup) and since my router is in the basement with my pc in the upstairs, it is a pain, especially when it doesnt work. Getting my DSL back up after a power outtage takes at least an hour, every time the power goes out. Does anyone have a suggestion on a way to fix this? Maybe a program that configures the router without having to mess with changing all the cables? Or a way of unplugging all the cables from the modem and router and plugging them back in to make it work or something? I'm goning to try updating my router filmware(its a year old, its always done this though) or my modem filmware(kinda hard if I dont know what model it is tho)

What type of modem is that? Is it a Speedstream 5200?
Also have you tried getting into your modem to config it or update the firmware. On the speedstream 5200 its 192.168.254.254.
Unplug your router go direct to the modem and see if you can access the config.
The default login is: user admin
pass admin

That modem is actually a NAT router and what you are doing is
routing from your router. Try a switch instead of your router and see what you get.

There is also some firmware out for those modems due to some bugs.

Let me know the model number and I can point you to the firmware. But you most likely should call your provider.

Sounds like turd knows what he is talking about. How often do you lose power? It sounds like the way you are talking, it happens frequently and if it were me I'd be on the phone to the power co. to find out what's going on. A UPS would help to a point, given that you were home when the power went off, it would give you time to shut things down properly.

power goes out a lot around here when it rains, the DSL gets messed up if the power goes out even for like 10 seconds...the modem is a Speedsteam 5360 Ethernet ADSL Modem

Yes, no config/software required for that one. There is a firmware update for the 5360 but only for a specific part#.
Go to this link:http://support.efficient.com/ and do a search for 5360+firmware and check it out. But with that modem I dont think that that is the problem. Your problem is not that you lose power alot, because you should come right back on with the power, unless your not getting a signal, but that dosent seem to be the case as stated.

Have you tried pulling the cord on the router during operation and then pluging it back in and seeing what you get? I would think that maybe the problem is that when both lose power that the modem and router come back on line and the modem is still initializing and the router gets no signal and for some reason stalls. But that makes no sense, because the router should just be waiting. Also the router should not lose its config after each outage. If thats happening then thats a problem in itsel that could cause your issues. Yank the plug then replug it and see.So it could be that the router is just loosing its configuration with the power outage? It could also be that your PC reboots prior to the router and modem being initialized and the PC gets no address assigns a loopback and you have no DSL, until you reboot. If you did try disconnecting the router and modem and everything worked, that would be because your PC still retains the assigned IEP but loses the connection.I would guess that you have looked at the PC aspect?

Im just kinda milling stuff around here because thats a hard thing to figure out without being there.

Another thing I dont understand is why you have to move cables around too get into your router config, that would also suggest that you are on a loopback instead of the network after the power ouitage, because you should be able to sit at your counsel and get into your router, reguardless of the modem being online or even powered up. You should be able to at least ping your router from your desktop. I dont know what type router you have? So I would almost now guess(and it is one) that the problem is with your computers behavior after the outage and not the router or modem.

What OS and what Router?

Hope this makes sense, hope it helps. Turd

Back