• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal paste

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i just dropped 2C off my idle temps from putting some as5 in place of my old as3...and yes, it is the best consumer level product(i have no idea about server/business thermal paste, it could be better but its probably only sold in bulk), some may argue, but then again, some may argue that beer counts as a vegetable

edit: wording

The best grease is Shin Etsu X23-7804E3. Kicks Ceramique's *** and is NON-CONDUCTIVE! What more could you ask for?

the shin etsu stuff is like very hard to apply, its very thick...

AS5 is also non conductive :p it is the other thing though... (the one allowing for cross-talk) it does NOT conduct high currents..

still, you should always pay attention when applying it anyway :)

(AS5 cools best, nothing is better...)

It's funny. I don't pay attention to modding and this forum for two months. I come back to find out there's an Artic Silver 5???? :eek:

Jognt said:
the shin etsu stuff is like very hard to apply, its very thick...

AS5 is also non conductive :p it is the other thing though... (the one allowing for cross-talk) it does NOT conduct high currents..

still, you should always pay attention when applying it anyway :)

(AS5 cools best, nothing is better...)

Nope it's not thick dude, the G-751 is THICK but the new X23-7804E3 is not... consistency the same as AS.

Frankly for having used silicone-based stuff before and AS5 now, I must say I don't see much of a difference. Maybe 1 degree at most.

stamasd, the reason u are prolly not getting better temps is prolly cuz u didnt remove ALL of the previous TIM's minute particles left in the hs..u should lap and use acetone to remove any traces of the previous one..maybe u didnt, becuase i saw a big improvement over generic silicon junk and using AS5/ceramique

Haha you're kidding right? :D There's no difference in temps between your so-called "silicon junk" and Ceramique...

BTW it's "silicone" not silicon... :D

Test them in a controlled environment and you'll see.

I'm about on board with Stamasd. When my old "junk" silicone began to fail after 1.5 years, resulting in a slow (6-month) rise of 4 degrees (C), I thought I'd get some AS5 and smack those temps back down.....oops. After a hundred hours of running with a high speed fan and several load-temp to shutdown cycles, temps are still 1 degree (C) higher than just before putting on the AS5, for a total of 5 degrees higher than I had on day one, two years ago, with the silicone "junk."

Actually I have to confess that I don't know that it is/was silicone. It's whatever was supplied by Swiftech in those days.

I used acetone to take the TIM off the CPU, and a combination of acetone and 1500 grit lapping to clean up the block. *shrug* I can't imagine doing any better than that, but am open to suggestions.

I think the point being made by some folks (at least by me), is that 5 may be better than 3, but it would seem there are other brands that are better than either. I realize that statement may make me a fool for not just bowing down to the masses that "believe," but I do not believe so easily, when my experience is the opposite. I'm happy to be wrong, cuz I already paid for this stuff, but I'm waiting for the proof. So far, I'm running hot on AS5.

Omaticrail> Have U tried cleaning between the fins on the sink. The dust collected there during 1-2 years will reduce the sink-performance..

dalilman52 said:
stamasd, the reason u are prolly not getting better temps is prolly cuz u didnt remove ALL of the previous TIM's minute particles left in the hs..u should lap and use acetone to remove any traces of the previous one..maybe u didnt, becuase i saw a big improvement over generic silicon junk and using AS5/ceramique

Sorry, but I put the AS5 on a brand new CPU (my 2nd Barton), and compare with the first one. And what I used on the other one wasn't even "thermal" paste, it was some generic silicone high viscosity grease used in vacuum pumps to provide seal under high vacuum. :)

Back