• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got a Raptor, crap out of the box.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brywalker

Well I finally broke down and got a Raptor. Install went nice and fast.

Then A FEW HOURS LATER I noticed that the drive was always doing a pattered crunching. This was odd seeing that there is no HDD LED access. So I did some diagnostics and it said all was well.

I decide to do some tests. I power down and remove the SATA cable, so there is just power. I power it up and sure enough, it was still doing it. CRUNCHCRUNCHCRUNCHCRUNCHCRUNCHCRUNCHCRUNCH.

So my first venture into the $3 per gig drive isn't a good one at all. I have to RMA it, and pay shipping back and stuff so I am not very happy at all. Also seeing that I am going to have to reinstall AGAIN.:mad:

I thought this was supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. It seems that its just crap so far.

On the flip side, the 7K250 I got for storage is the bomb. Never hear a peep and it is VERY fast. I wish I invested in another one of those instead of a crappy WD drive.

It's not uncommon for a brand new hard drive to fail. With the way manufacturing is these days it happens alot unfortunatly. I bought a brand new 9gig 7200 Quantam almost two years ago and it had a knocking sound and wouldn't let windows load. So I called and got it RMA'ed. This was right after Maxtor had bought out Quantam and were still rearranging thier distrabution points. So it took a lot longer to get to mee than normal. Great thing was they gave me a 20gig for its replacement. When the drive arrived I plopped it in me sys and it was making the same knocking noise the 9gig did. I called Maxtor back and they sent another 20gig. This time it worked and I have been using it ever since. :D

brywalker said:

On the flip side, the 7K250 I got for storage is the bomb. Never hear a peep and it is VERY fast. I wish I invested in another one of those instead of a crappy WD drive.

It's a bummer for sure you got a bad one, but unfortunetly it happens with all Hard drives from every manufacturer. I hope you get your rma-ed drive quick as you will soon see they are not crappy.;)

Hitachi drive, eh? I hope that since moving over, the quality has improved. I had a hell of a time with IBM drives.

Whats up with the speed on this thing too?

I thought it was supposed to be fast.

As a single drive Sandra nets in a 32774 kb/sec.

My 7K250 Partition 1 gets 34979 kb/sec..

Partotion 2 gets 28702 kb/sec.

So is this all hype or what?

no, it is definitly not all 'hype' with the raptors. a friend of mine has two of them in a raid 0, and ive never seen a desert combat map load so fast. his computer starts up in 15 seconds, defragging takes about 20 minutes.

i plan on getting two of them at some point, or ill get two of the 74 gb raptors as soon as they come out.

my 120gb SATA wd just doesnt load stuff fast enough.

RangerJoe said:
no, it is definitly not all 'hype' with the raptors. a friend of mine has two of them in a raid 0, and ive never seen a desert combat map load so fast. his computer starts up in 15 seconds, defragging takes about 20 minutes.

i plan on getting two of them at some point, or ill get two of the 74 gb raptors as soon as they come out.

my 120gb SATA wd just doesnt load stuff fast enough.

Raptor is SATA,

This is the one I ordered ;) http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merc...duct_Code=150237&Category_Code=SATAHardDrives

Hitachi drive, eh? I hope that since moving over, the quality has improved. I had a hell of a time with IBM drives.
It's really too bad that people think that the high failure rates of the 60GXP and 75GXP meant that every drive thereafter was destined to be a failure. Quality improved before they switched over. I build systems for friends on occasion, and just about every 800JB I've used (including mine) has run into problems. Every time I've used a 120GXP (including my family computer's) I've had absolutely NO problems whatsoever. Basically...IBM/Hitachi makes great drives. Even the IBM 120GXP's are faster in RAID 0 than the Western Digital JB's.

I also plan to get a Raptor in the (hopefully) near future...then, when money permits, add a second one for RAID 0. :D

Yeah, I got a bad one out of the box too. I was so disapointed because thanksgiving was the week where I was supposed to get my webserver up and running. I am too busy with class the rest of the time. So I returned the drive and used my diamond max 9 for the time being. Maybe I will be willing to give it a try again this summer when I have more time on my hands.

Back