• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Turning on the computer with a power switch?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

InsaneO/cer

Registered
Is there a way i can turn on the computer without using a powerswitch?

I think i read somewhere in here that you can use a paperclip and touch the 2 jumpers that the powerswitch would plug into and it would work.

Yup. The power button on a case is only closed when your are pushing down on the button. The same effect can be achieved by shorting the two pins that the button plugs into on the motherboard together. I turn on mobos with screwdrivers and the like all the time.

Gnufsh said:
Yup. The power button on a case is only closed when your are pushing down on the button. The same effect can be achieved by shorting the two pins that the button plugs into on the motherboard together. I turn on mobos with screwdrivers and the like all the time.

How do i go about doing that?

InsaneO/cer said:

How do i go about doing that?

get a screwdriver, the one with ( - ) side, not ( + ), then look at your mobo manual, there are 2 pins you need to short .. usually named "pwr_switch" or something like that.

Make sure all your components are connected right, then just short both pins with the (-) ending screwdriver .. it'd work .. I too do it all the time while testing mobos.

nut581 said:

get a screwdriver, the one with ( - ) side, not ( + ), then look at your mobo manual, there are 2 pins you need to short .. usually named "pwr_switch" or something like that.

Make sure all your components are connected right, then just short both pins with the (-) ending screwdriver .. it'd work .. I too do it all the time while testing mobos.

So i put the screwdriver in the middle of both pins and let the pins touch the screw driver? Or do i touch the pins together with the screwdriver?

InsaneO/cer said:

So i put the screwdriver in the middle of both pins and let the pins touch the screw driver? Or do i touch the pins together with the screwdriver?

touch the pins together with the screwdriver.

Thanks guys!

Got her to turn on using the screwdriver.

I do have more question. Is it possible for the powerbutton switch to go bad?

NiTrO bOiE said:
It's possible (if the wires get cut) but I've never heard of it happening before.

Every time i press the powerbutton i get nothing. But when i do the screwdriver trick she boots up with no problems.

I have a powerswitch in my case that is bad... Dunno what went wrong with it. I just went into BIOS and set my computer to boot up when the PSU power switch is turned on.

IMOG said:
I have a powerswitch in my case that is bad... Dunno what went wrong with it. I just went into BIOS and set my computer to boot up when the PSU power switch is turned on.

Good idea!!

Thanks.

Back