• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crucial Memory is crucial to CUSL2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yomama

Guys,

I just took advantage of the low memory prices and the fact that crucial is offering FREE second day UPS. I ordered 128MB of their CAS2 PC133 RAM ($77.39, but they add tax at least here in joisey).

I meant to use this for an upgrade on one of our computers. I was using Mushkin Mosel Vitalec set to 2-2-2 on my CUSL2, but noticed that the Sandra memory throughput barely ever exceeded 400MB/s - even at 143 FSB (1GHZPIII700). So, just to gage it, I threw in the new stick - and holy moly(!) insted of a lackluster 389/415 or so I got 420/460. Thats a 5-10% improvement.

Also the crucial allowed me to use the more agressive 5,7 memory timing, and let me boot into windows - however the system hung while benchmarking - nevertheless this too was never possible before.

I still think that the Mushkin memory, which is oly about 6moths old, is very good and really stable, but crucial's new stuff is obviously faster.

One explanation may be that the Mosel memory was configured with 16chips x 8MB, whereas the crucial only has 8 chips x16MB, thus less external traffic cycles.

Needless to say the upgraded computer gets the mosel stick, and I am keeping this one in the CUSL #:eek:)

Yo

I took advantage of Kingston&#39s offer on egghead....

128 megs of 133 memory...lifetime warranty (like all of Kingston's) was $77 with a $15 rebate and second day UPS....been running great for 2 days now =)

I took advantage of Kingston&#39s offer on egghead....

Shadow (Dec 21, 2000 02:26 a.m.):
128 megs of 133 memory...lifetime warranty (like all of Kingston's) was $77 with a $15 rebate and second day UPS....been running great for 2 days now =)

Cool, but is it CAS 2?

Back