• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xmas card choice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trent

thinking of getting a new card as an xmas present, looking at either a 9600 pro, 9600 XT or if i can find a good deal maybe the 9800 np, but Im more curious which is probably going to be the best bang for the buck card, roughly between 150 and 220 I think. Im just looking for opinions mostly, as well as whether it is better to get ATI branded card or one of the 3rd party cards, This is my first venture to ATI simply because nvidia had the best bang for the buck in my previous builds.

If you look at some of the threads on here Circuit City is selling the 9800np BBA for $199. Even if you get infineon ram it will be faster than any of the 9600 series cards. If you get lucky and get samsung ram then you have a 9800pro for $199

Andy71600 said:
299 for a 9800 pro at best buy :)

That sounds really good, except that sale ends today. :eek: I'm sure there will be more in the next few weeks for the holiday season. Hopefully at least.

you cat go wrong with the 9600xt for $180 on newegg why buy a evpensive card when this card will hold up for hl2 and doom 3 then as games get more intense you can pull for a 9800xt after the 9900 pros come out

The 9800 np is better choice ,its 8 rendering pipelines and 256-bit memory.And makes up for the slower clock speed!

dreIU said:

That sounds really good, except that sale ends today. :eek: I'm sure there will be more in the next few weeks for the holiday season. Hopefully at least.

ATI has lowered the MSRP of the Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB to $299, so it should be that price in most stores now. You could order it online at NewEgg for $292. ATI will also stop producing new BBA Radeon 9800 Pros, as well as 9600 Pro, and will focus on the 9800XT and 9600XT.

I would get a 5900 from Newegg, or a 9600XT from excaliberpc if you want to spend less. Or a 9800p from somewhere if you want to spend more.

Back