• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with Mobos!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PWD

Registered
Well I wanna get one from bestbuy so I can have it asap, the major question I have is are all motherboards basically the same? My previous Motherboard was an amd gigabyte, but I'll probably just snag anything I can from bestbuy. What I basically need is a slot for a sound card, my cable modem card, and my ati all in wonder 8500 dv video card.

Here's the list for motherboards from bestbuy:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat01071&type=category

I'm sure if I got the motherboard from newegg.com it would be better and cheaper, but I just want a quick solution, so out of all of those in that list which do you think is the best for me?

any help is appreciated, thanks!

P.S. I'm starting to really like this site, and after spending a day working on my computer, I think I'm getting the hang of this, I'm still a newbie so if there are any faqs or things that I should read to help get me in the right direction lemme know! :)

Model:

alright for the memory there's a bunch of crap i'll just type it all

PC2100U-25330-B1

256 Mb, DDR 266MHz CL2.5

Attachments

• 11-156-002-10.jpg
    11-156-002-10.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
If your plan is to reuse your current processor and memory, then you're going to have to determine what it is one way or the other. The sticks of RAM should have some info on them that will help. If this is already installed on a m/b that you're upgrading (or isn't working) then the specific make / model will help. Otherwise you're going to have to remove the heatsink to determine the processor.

Ok, Now Thats cool

Case is fine, Regular ATX Mobo's will be fine.

Just need to know what processor your running.

Harry

I'll figure that out tommorow, where exactly is the processor, on the motherboard under the heatsink?

Yes

When you bought the pc didnt it tell you What it was? And are you ok with applying thermal compound after you take off the HS and clean up the processor?

Ill just wait till tomarrow

Harry

Thermal whatsit?

My friend custom built this computer, all parts from newegg.com

LOL Sorry

Its the Compound between the Heatsink and the processor.

When you take off the Heatsink, Lift the little arm on the socket after you take off the HS. Lift out the proggy and clean it up with a bit of rubbing Alcohol. Get your Numbers and all.

He probably used Artic Silver(hope). Or Artic Ceramique sp?

You will have to get Some of what he used, After you get your Numbers, Make sure everything is clean(HS and Proggy).
Put the Proggy back in With the Upper right corner being the one with the Angled corner(Little hole On proggy) Put Little arm back down after proggy is seated.

Apply a paper thin layer of Thermal Compound. Put your HS back on, Making sure not to crush the corners. Clamp it down, and plug the fan back in(very important)

Then your good to go.

Harry

I'll try this tonight, hopefully I can just get a mobo from bestbuy, cuz I want to continue capping garfield and friends (this computer doesn't have enough space to capture without losing frames).

Thanks for all the help I'll let you know how it goes when I get home from school.:)

Back