• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless networking??? Is a wireless router and wireless pci all i NEED???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I can't comment on your brand of PCI card, but yes, you only need a wireless router and card and you're set. Cable connection will plug into the router and will be broadcast.

All, sorry about that, when I posted that card I didn't mean that was the one I was getting, I just had that page up with a 11b so I put it for reference. Thanks everyone. I'm thinking of starting a hotspot around here in my area for our townhouses, i've already got approval from the cable company, I just have to switch to a commercial line which is $50 more a month so I might end up doing that as well. But I figure I might as well get my house done first.

Would anyone recommend 802.11b or g, or is there a router/ap that will do both? any suggestions?

Thanks, will definately only buy a g rounter if it will allow both to connect to it, this site save my ace again.

ive seen people have problems if they have a router with wirelessb and card that is g

definitely g router and g card if you are creating a hotspot for a townhouse....you'll love the extra range you get through walls, etc.

I've seen a site before that went over all the options in detail and it was awesome but that was months ago and theres so much more. Its not really a hotspot but people in my townhouses which is over 500 people and over half have Charter Cable pay 50 a month. I can offer it to them for a fraction of the cost legally through Charter, they have already approved it. I'm going to ask for $5 for the first month and if they dont' like it they can stop, if they do like it then $10 a month. Thats a $40 savings. Its not going to be up for atleast 3 months but its a start. I've already got the townhouse owners approval to add antennas to 6 of the buildings to shoot the antenna from one to another. But I will look at the G's only now. And I'm going to see if I can find the 108mbs ones. Thanks everyone. Anymore thoughts?

how much of an area do you want this to cover? if you need a large area, you will probably need to have your network setup with either really powerfuly access points, or multiple access points. i can barely go to the opposite side of my house and still have much of a wireless signal (it chokes down to 1.0 mbps and low signal, not to mention it drops packets like none other) just a thought...

aggies92 said:
definitely g router and g card if you are creating a hotspot for a townhouse....you'll love the extra range you get through walls, etc.

g and b have the same range. g has 5 times the data transfer bandwidth.

The range to cover is multiple buildings in the end but thats a long time away, for now, just my house, so about 50 foot. But for anything farther I plan on having external signal boosters that are directional to get to other areas. For now though, my place is good.

Back