• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why 1280 x 1024 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sappo

It wasnt till recently that i realized that 1280x1024 resolution doesnt follow the stardard 4x3 ratio that every other standard resulution (800x600 640x480 1024x768 etc) follows. It should be 1280x960 dangit! Video playback is distorted at 1280x1024 and i dont like it. Is there at least a semi-reasonable explanation for the choice in numbers?

I don't understand why everyone uses that res either. When I moved up to my 19in monitor, I used 1280x1024 for a few minutes and promptly moved to 1280x960, which is true to the 4:3 ratio of a CRT.

maybe it has to do with how the pixels are shaped. Maybe they're rectanguar or something, and more are stacked horizontally. Just a guess. That's a really interesting question though

http://webpages.charter.net/willards/1280x960.JPG
1280x960.JPG

-vs-

http://webpages.charter.net/willards/1280x1024.JPG
1280x1024.JPG

one a10 is clearly taller than the other, the question is, which one's right?

I just measured my LCD, it is 33.8/27 = ~1.25... which make sense for the resolution... (1280/1024 = 1.25)..
normal CRTs are 1.33... so if u r using 1280/960, you are stretching the original image...

It's all about getting the pixel closest to square as possible. In the good old days when 320x200 was standard the pixels was clearly rectangular. At the same time the Amiga used 320x256 which was clearly more square-like than the pc-res. Today we have high resolutions for almost everything and the it's harder to identify the shape of the pixel... All in all, use what looks best on your monitor.

I have a NEC LCD1760nx monitor. A little pop-up always comes up when it isnt in 1280x1024. It says 1280x1024 is the recommended res. setting. Does anyone know if LCD monitors are made a little wider so it supports this res correcty?

xbiker321 said:
I have a NEC LCD1760nx monitor. A little pop-up always comes up when it isnt in 1280x1024. It says 1280x1024 is the recommended res. setting. Does anyone know if LCD monitors are made a little wider so it supports this res correcty?

Yeah ur lcd is designed for that resolution. Any other resolution looks stretched.

When I use 1280x1024 on my CRT, the image is clearly "squashed", or stretched horizontally. Circles become ovals. You can even see it in smileys like this. :)

xbiker321 said:

It has nothing to do with the shape, every LCD monitor has a native resolution, unless you are running in it's native resolution it looks like crap.

alpha_gamer said:

It has nothing to do with the shape, every LCD monitor has a native resolution, unless you are running in it's native resolution it looks like crap.

just thought that i would reiterate this point for emphasis.

i, too, have the nec 1760.

1280x1024 will always looked 'squashed' unless the physical dimensions of your monitor are in 5:4.

Normal CRT monitors are all made in 4:3 so only 4:3 resolutions look right (e.g. 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x960).

17" LCDs usually have a native res of 1280x1024 but they don't look squashed because the dimensions are in 5:4. As has been mentioned running anything other than the native res on an LCD makes things look 'weird' to say the least. This is because LCDs actually have the said number of pixels (e.g. a 17" LCD actually has 1280x1024 pixels) so running out of the native res means they'll have to strectch the image etc.

The reason as to why they make 17" LCDs in 1280x1024 is unclear to me as it is a very uncommon res. Even BF1942 doesn't support it!!!!!

Slighly off topic but what do you guys think of your LCD monitors? I've never liked them that much, I don't know if it's the refresh rate or what but they bug my eyes.

alpha_gamer said:
Slighly off topic but what do you guys think of your LCD monitors? I've never liked them that much, I don't know if it's the refresh rate or what but they bug my eyes.

I have always loved my lcd, and I would never go back to crt. Also, its not the refresh rate bugging ur eyes. Lcd's don't refresh like crts. A pixel is either on or off, so it doesn't refresh the whole screen constantly like a crt. The refresh rate is just there for compatibility with graphics cards. Maybe its something else that bugged you? Or maybe you mean the blurring that can occur in games by refresh rate?

Just got my 1760nx and am very pleased. However for some reason the DVI cable I also got does not fit in the monitor but fits in the video card. Its got 4 pins around the big flad tap/pin of the end of the male plug the 1760nx's digital female connector has no holes for these and therefore it doesnt fit, any suggestions? Oh and to turn off the annoying, not in a native resolution thing, just press exit twice move over to the fifth tab from right, press select, move to the selection that looks like xyi and turn the resolution notifier off. All in all its a great piece of machinery eyes feel the difference definitely beats out my old crt.

Back