• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

very odd new RADEON 9800XT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UnrealCpu

Never overclocked once.
Did overclock my cpu and running direct x9.0b redlist. Graphic card started exibiting artifacts in quake 3 and now on bios startup.
I believe the card is messed up
and get this its a hercules 9800xt

what should i do?

trust me the cooling is fine. The card just is bad i believe. I am getting blocks in the bios. I flashed the bios and reinstalled the cat drivers to 3.9

never overclocked once . Maybe these herc 9800xt suck

I am going to rma it today and if it does it again im going for the aseus

Hercules cards are typically phenomenal I have a herc 9800 pro but even the best companies deliver duds once in a while. Rma it I'm sure the next one will be fine.

Just out of curiosity.... You mentioned that you flashed the bios. Does flashing a card's bios void the warranty? Or is it flashing a card's bios w/ any bios other than stock void the card???

I did not flash the video cards bios only the motherboard.

Thanks for the replys. I sent it off to newegg today. Right now im using my geforce 3 ti200 . It does the job for internet surfing.

But i had a few questions for you all.

I am overclocked to 3500mhz and i used fixed ratios for all bus speeds. could possible i messed up damaging the card? The agp voltage was also set to 1.65v. I hope i dont have to send this card back again it cost me like 15 bucks today.

Maybe you are right it is a dud. im surprised

It's probably a dud. But I would honestly recommend running the stock AGP voltage that the card is rate for. Also, it's certainly a possibility that the AGP frequency was bothering the card. I'm not too knowledgeable about Intel systems, but if you're running the AGP too fast, it could certainly cause problems.

Well the agp was at a fixed ratio and so was my ram

i just dont see how this new card could mess up so quick. I flashed my motherboard bios and went back to stock and it still does it.
The geforce 3 ti 200 works like a charm for 3 years.

i just dont get it

No comapny can put out a 100% sucessful manufacturing rate, and occasionally a bad one makes it out to the market. Whatever you do, dont blame the comapny, because it happens to every single one.

My 9800 Pro did the same thing you described. I sent it back and got a BBA 9800XT. Avoid the Asus ones because there not good clockers. They aslo require a higher agp voltage than most MBs offer.

The only thing i could think of is that i ran the computer at 3.5 gighertz too long while the agp wasnt at a fixed ratio. also my case temps are at 33c

cypher_138 said:
My 9800 Pro did the same thing you described. I sent it back and got a BBA 9800XT. Avoid the Asus ones because there not good clockers. They aslo require a higher agp voltage than most MBs offer.

Well AFAIK vast majority of XT aren't good overclockers. Seldom they pass 440 on core. Mine doesn't overclock at all! Well sorry it does whooping 18 MHz on core and 5 on memory...
I got better o/c on my old OEM GF2 with passive cooling on core!!!

With dead harddrive, 2 different watercooling setups (both with algae all over the place), RAM that won't do single MHz more than rated (PC 3200), CPU that overclocks worse than my XT, mo/bo that makes more noise than Junker airplane ( IC7 with that stupid little fan ), idle temps that match those of Vesuvius when it got mad and decided to visit Pompei...
I can say that I have the SLOWEST, most expensive rig on this side of Alpha Centaury.

I'm sorry about this rant I'm beyond hope!
Thank you for your time!

dam talk about letting out some frusteration

my xt is coming back from new egg next week

hopefully i wont have a problem.
hercules rule with overclocking

Melhisedek said:

Well AFAIK vast majority of XT aren't good overclockers. Seldom they pass 440 on core. Mine doesn't overclock at all! Well sorry it does whooping 18 MHz on core and 5 on memory...
I got better o/c on my old OEM GF2 with passive cooling on core!!!

With dead harddrive, 2 different watercooling setups (both with algae all over the place), RAM that won't do single MHz more than rated (PC 3200), CPU that overclocks worse than my XT, mo/bo that makes more noise than Junker airplane ( IC7 with that stupid little fan ), idle temps that match those of Vesuvius when it got mad and decided to visit Pompei...
I can say that I have the SLOWEST, most expensive rig on this side of Alpha Centaury.

I'm sorry about this rant I'm beyond hope!
Thank you for your time!

You are right about the XT, my XT won't go pass 435/385....:(

I like powerstrip. IT works on every card and I always get decent clocks. My hercules 9800 pro is at 475core/ 380 mem. Thats for benching I play games at 450/ 370. Watercooled of course.

UnrealCpu said:
what program do you use to overclock?

Riva Tuner, I found it very user friendly, compare to RadClocker or Rage Tweaker..

Anyway, does it matter which tools I use to O/C ?

Thanks.

Back