• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVD burning help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

altec

polka dot ninja
I am trying to burn a bunch of home movies onto DVD for my family and I have run into some problems. The files were originally in .mpg format, so i used TMPGEnc Plus to convert the files to .m2v, with the sound in .wav. Now I have all of these mosterous files, and I cannot fit them all onto a standard DVD with the .wav background music files. I am using Ulead DVD MovieFactory to merge the files together, by the way.

My question is this: What format do i need to switch these .wav files to so that I can fit all of this stuff onto a DVD. I know that the files should fit onto a DVD with room to spare, but the .wav background sound is preventing this. Any ideas, suggestions, etc???

This is the first time that I have ever done any of this, so I would also appreciate it if someone could tell me if I am doing all of this right? was .mpg to .m2v for the video the correct way to go? Thanks for any input.

-Tray
;)

Try to convert .wav into .mp3 (using real one player) or .wma (using windows media player). You may choose the compression ratio of the mp3 compression, trading off quality with disk space.

E.g.
96 kbps, 1 music CD 44 MB
64 kbps, 1 music CD 29 MB
56 kbps, 1 music CD 26 MB

I usually use 96 Kbps Stereo bitrate, a music CD would require only 44 MB to hold in the hard drive.

There are other formats which may give better options for quality/compression, but I prefer mp3 due to its popular format and can readily be played on mp3 players. Some recent mobile players support both mp3 and wma.

BTW, first time posting in this section of the forum, as you directed me here.

Okay, DVDs are actually a series of VOB files with mpeg layers (video and audio). What programs like yours do is extract JUST the audio (wav) and the m2v file, I believe, is NOT video data, but rather a data file that instructs applications HOW to use the encoded video data in the VOB files.

So, what you can do (and what I recently did for a friend with his old VHS cross country trip tapes) is to create a large Mpeg file and burn it to dvd. This will allow the data to be read (as one LARGE file) on any PC, but will not be compatible with dvd players. You have a good start in having mgp files already, but without them encoded to dvd standards, they're useless to your main objective -- to make them playable in most standard home dvd players.

There are applications out there that I've never used that will make vob files from the mpeg data, then you make an dvd image file of the vob files/video data, then burn that image to dvdr.

Best bet -- find the tutorial on dvdrhelp.com

I looked through dvdrhelp.com, and I cannot seem to find any information on converting .mpg files to DVD. Does anyone have any experience in this area?

I used Ulead DVD Movie Factory to load the .mpg's, convert them to .vob's and then burn it, but it did not work. It took all night to encode the video's, burn them, etc..... and when i woke up, the DVD wont work.

Any more ideas?

altec said:
and when i woke up, the DVD wont work.

Any more ideas?

If powerdvd (or whatever PC-based dvd software) won't play them, then something went wrong. If it DOES play it on the PC, then it may be a compatibility issue as not all home dvd players read dvdr media properly.

Pinky said:

If powerdvd (or whatever PC-based dvd software) won't play them, then something went wrong. If it DOES play it on the PC, then it may be a compatibility issue as not all home dvd players read dvdr media properly.

The videos will not play on the PC or my home DVD player......could it be because I used a DVD+RW disc? I figured that I could use that until I figured out how to use it, then burn it on a DVD+R, that way I dont have a bunch of new coasters for all the screw-ups I have made. :p

Ok Pinky, looking through that guide, it seems to be quite a bit simpler than what I was attempting to do, and I think it will work. My only question is this: I have multiple .mpg files that I want on one DVD. Will IFOedit allow me to use multiple video and audio files to make them into IFO's ?

Ok well I tried the process described in that guide for one of the .mpg's individually, and the sound is about 5sec behind the movie......damnit! :(

I know they are in that format. I ask how did you get them on your computer. What was the source of your video. VHS tapes, hi8 tapes. I ask because I had a camcorder and then decided to capture them onto my computer with a video card. I found out that the audio is always out of synch. I then decided to buy a Digital8 camcorder and I can pass through any source to my computer with the firewire and the audio is always in synch. You have frame loss and you also rely on the audio card as well when you don't use a pass through.

They came from VHS tapes. I knew however that I would not have access to the tapes for long periods of time (they are my grandparents who already left), so I saved them in.mpg.

I am not in a huge hurry to get it done, but i need to finish all of this by x-mas. They are very old tapes, and I am trying to ge them all on DVD for my grandparents for their x-mas present. They are videos of my dads birth and all of that.

Any advice is still welcome, I am truly at a loss at this point......nothing I do will get the sound in sync.

Tnaks for the link, but I do not have the video's anymore, and therefore I cannot do a capture VHS to DVD conversion, although I wish that I could. I will look through those forums however and see if they have any threads on a .mpg to DVD conversion. Thanks again for the link.

I have used Nero 6 Ultra which includes video editing and DVD mastering programs. It allows you to combine separate video and audio files and then burn them to a DVD in a standard format. I believe it takes care of the compression automatically but I could be mistaken. And of course the program costs $$

I think what you need is a movie editor so you can sync the audio to the video. Windows Movie Maker is a free download from MS and allows you to do just that and then burn to a DVD.

One other factor you should consider is the DVD format (+R or -R). Various home DVD players are compatable with either one or the other (sometimes both), but I believe -R is more common. Check your DVD user manual for a list of compatable formats.

I hope this helps :)
programs you need. virtual dub,tmpgenc,ifoedit,nero
first make a new folder on desktop.
inside that folder make 2 more. name them VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS
launch virtualdub. click file, open the file you want to work with
click audio, select full compression.
click file and save wav, save to the new folder.

launch tmpgenc. select DVD NTFC from the wizard select cbr mpeg-1 layer 2.click next
browse for the video file you're working with
browse audio for the wav file you made with vdub. click next
click other settings and select advanced. click the drop down for video arrange and select full screen keep aspect ratio
click ok click next and next again click yes
click output as elementary streams and put in your new folder on desktop
select start encoding immediately
click ok and let it run.

you should have 2 new files in your folder mv2 and mp2. rename the .mp2 to .mpa.

launch ifoedit and select dvd author and author new dvd
click the browse button next to video and load the m2v file
click browse next to audio and load the mpa file
for destination select the VIDEO_TS folder in your new folder

Back