• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tft

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ArBiTaL 24

There is no spoon
I currently have a 19" CRT running @ 1280x1024, but it's quite blurry and is annoying my vision (and 1024x768 just makes me feel sick).

I'm thinking about getting a new monitor and i'm looking at TFTs. There's a nice 19" Samsung TFT i've seen.

However, i remember when TFTs came out they had a lot of things going against them, like:

* Price (very expensive)
* can be blurry
* dead pixels
* not good for gaming (refresh rate)

Are these issues still a problem? Should I go with a CRT instead?

Thanks, A24.

Hmmm.... i just read the thread on 1280x1024, i changed my res but it still seems blurry...
....so... bump... :)

Just a thought, but have you tried fiddling with the monitor settings mainly the "convergence"

Personally for gaming I would still stick with a CRT although there are TFT's that dont look bad for gaming I think you have to pay an arm and a leg for a decent one thats up to it.

Hmmm... I don't seem to have a setting called convergence (what's "moire"?)

Aren't TFTs very good for games then? I knew they weren't when they first came out, but i've heard that they're better than CRTs for games now!!

I wasnt too sure myself what moire was so I searched for you and came up with this:

Moire is an undesirable pattern of wavy lines that shows up on the screen. It is electronic noise that can be coming from the circuits inside the monitor or from the video card. It is very unpredictable since it could happen only on a specific resolution, frequency, or size of the image, or on any combination of the above. The "Moire" control on the monitor will reduce this electronic noise pattern.

Yeah TFT's can be good for games but they are all different in there quality, for gaming I believe you need one with at least a 25ms response time, thats the time it takes for one of the pixels to go on and completly off again kind of like the refresh in a way, I read that some gamers swear by TFT's with a 16ms response rate, if you look about at prices to find one with a decent response time good enough for gaming I think you will find its quite expensive a lot more than a nice CRT anyway, so wether its worth it is all down to you, perfomance wise you can get a good TFT for gaming but like I said I think it will expensive!

edit: I found an artice that may interest you! Right here
-Chris

Last edited:
Ah, thank you for the information, and the linky :)

EDIT: the monitor i was looking at has a 25ms response time. I will go and look for one with a 16.. but i may just try and stick with this one for now :s

EDIT2: agh, just reading that article, sounds like they have to sacrifice the colors displayed to get 16ms response :/

Last edited:
Back