• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I realy screwed up this time!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yuriman

I was getting ready to download the new patch that just came out for halo, and I started to smell something burning. I registered instantly, but by that time my pc had already shut off. I unplugged it to see my hose had come off my cpu block. Aparently when I had been sorting wires earlier I had knoced it loose, and with the room temperature rising, it started to pressurize. The hose had sprayed water right on my prize barton, and it smelled of burnt plastic. I can see no physical damage, but im pretty angry. I hope it didnt take my NF2 as well. Later im going to individualy test all my parts out and see what is gone. Looks like im not getting that 2nd hard drive for christmas this year!

:eek:

I dont think ur barton is dead. Infact im sure its not because me and my friend were messing with his barton and the stupid shim he had was on wrong so the chip was not touching the block AT ALL !!! and the stupid thing surived.

On another note, leak test the block really good. Im sorta thinking enuff heat mighta built up to melt the plexi a bit. Im not sure if it would be enuff to cause any problems, so just to be sure eh.

I knocked the tubing loose, and when my room heated up it cause the hose to literaly pop. The block is fine.

But on anther note, I may not be ably to afford that video block for a while. My mom got fired a few weeks back, and her scheme of getting money isnt working. We are broke. Finish making it, but I may not be able to buy it by christmas.

I'd give it 48hrs to dry, but it seems that your cpu is gone.
I hope you didn't lose any other stuff.
Wish you luck.

Edit: Just for the recored I fried my dear 1700+ 2 weeks ago.

Suma.

Last edited:
I'd agree with Suma, sounds like your cpu is dead. I fried my Athlon a while back when my pc powerred on without the pump on. That's a similiar situation to you. Block on, but no waterflow. The cpu just keeps getting hotter till it fries.

Now you have first hand proof that the bios shutdown feature does not work :( (provided you had enabled it)

You'll know that it's the cpu that is dead if when you power your pc on, you get no error beeps at all (though could also be your mobo, but most likely your cpu given the circumstances).

If you get any beeps at all, that tells your both your cpu and mobo are fine.

You should have a sufficiant air gap in your water tank so that when the water heats you have a point of expansion without a huge rise in water pressure. Basically like a closed loop expansion tank.

will_maltby said:
I'd agree with Suma, sounds like your cpu is dead. I fried my Athlon a while back when my pc powerred on without the pump on. That's a similiar situation to you. Block on, but no waterflow. The cpu just keeps getting hotter till it fries.

Now you have first hand proof that the bios shutdown feature does not work :( (provided you had enabled it)

In this case, the temperature rise was only part of the problem, though. You'll notice that Yuriman said that the hose sprayed water all over his CPU while the system was running. Shorting out things like that is likely to damage the circuitry, even before temperature rise would start to affect things (<seconds).

FIZZ3 said:

In this case, the temperature rise was only part of the problem, though. You'll notice that Yuriman said that the hose sprayed water all over his CPU while the system was running. Shorting out things like that is likely to damage the circuitry, even before temperature rise would start to affect things (<seconds).

That's true.
Also, I can say that my 8rda+ did shutdown my comp when I forgot the pump.
Also, I was running without a pump in a cold night, and I got to 59c (shutdown @ 60c) and it didn't shut it down.

Suma.

Distilled water might not necessarily cause a short.

I had my waterblock leak onto my gf2 below before and the only way I knew was because I started getting weird artifacts on screen when playing videos.

There's a fair chance once it dries it'll all be ok.

Yuriman, if you're reading, if you were using any kind of additives in your water, be sure to clean it off throroughly before letting it dry. Water wetter tends to be conductive when it crustifies on stuff.

will_maltby said:
Distilled water might not necessarily cause a short.

I had my waterblock leak onto my gf2 below before and the only way I knew was because I started getting weird artifacts on screen when playing videos.

There's a fair chance once it dries it'll all be ok.

Yuriman, if you're reading, if you were using any kind of additives in your water, be sure to clean it off throroughly before letting it dry. Water wetter tends to be conductive when it crustifies on stuff.

Disteilled water will not be condutive when it's not in touch with air for longer then couple of hours. When the distilled water comes in touch with air, the dust will melt into the water and then... shorts.

Suma.

Last edited:
I got a chance to test everything out except the motehrboard and power supply. It all worked. I was realy happy. Anyway, I think the board is dead as it smells funny around the mosfets now. Ill test it out later, im at school now.

Well just so you know.
When I fried my 1700+, the socket smelled like hell.
Maybe the smell is just laying there, and maybe not.
Hope it's just a smell.

Suma.

Back