• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ppl using dd z chip with nf2 mobo come in pls

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neop

do u lap ur northbridge?

or do u jus mount ur z chip to get better fsb?
cos after i mounted my z chip, i cant even get 200fsb. used to get 220fsb with the def nb hsf though.

well my z chip is not flat all around, jus the sides of about 3mm lapped more then in the middle. but i guess it's ok right?

and i tried to lap the chipset, quite a disaster though.

now running my 2800+ at stock and it aint even prime95 stable?

does the nf2 chipset needs really gd cooling to get over 200fsb?

kinda hard to lap the northbridge chipset..
i took a hobby knife to mine (flat, not angled) and cut a little big of the plastic around the metal heatspreader because i wasn't getting good contact to my waterblock.
also make sure u have a good amount of pressure applied on the chipset, you're dealling with tubing and stuff which isn't an issue with stock hsf, so those little springgy things might not cut it.

i cant uds
cut a little bit of the plastic around the metal heatspreader because i wasn't getting good contact to my waterblock.

my blk is using those bolts and nuts and it's kinda tight. but it still cant do 200fsb.

using this unstable comp for months already =(
gonna rma again soon.

jus wondering if any1 jus took out the def nb hsf and mount the z chip and din encounter any problems =]

i was thinking maybe cos of the nb waterblk is not flat enuff at the sides. but haiz, even considered selling the nb blk:(

used to be happy with my old 2100+ @ 220 x 10 when not using water cooling at that time

forgot to state, i already tried. =(
even used the bolts from the z chip to attach the def nb hsf to the motherboard but it sstill wun 200.

dismantling every now and then is very very messy and with coolant spilling here and there is messy.

btw, using ddr400 rams so not the problem as some1 has already used to rams to 230+ on a p4 865 mobo 1:1

I didn't lap my NorthBridge, I just packed on the AS5. But I was able to get my FSB from 217 up to 230, with out the waterblock it would just restart if I tried anything over 217 (btw I haven't done the V-mod)

Hmm...I thought better cooling on the NB wasn't very effective...well, that changes my mind. :)

johan851 said:
Hmm...I thought better cooling on the NB wasn't very effective...well, that changes my mind. :)

it isn't alway effective.
its just the damn nforce2 chipsets get so damn hot when u overclock
i couldn't even touch my stock passive heatsink..
u obviously can't keep it stable while its flaming hot

it all kinda depends on what chipset u have i guess

Rokk1972 said:
I didn't lap my NorthBridge, I just packed on the AS5. But I was able to get my FSB from 217 up to 230, with out the waterblock it would just restart if I tried anything over 217 (btw I haven't done the V-mod)
so u jus put alot of as5 on it?
sad man

I had a zblock on the NB of my A7N8X and didn't lap either one. I cleaned the NB with alcohol and applied with AS3. It worked great and definately allowed a higher OC, although I don't remember how much. I no longer have that setup. I don't think it will be more than 5-10MHz.

Back