• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What does monitor Dot Pitch mean exactly?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

/\\/3|2o

I never really knew what they meant. I know the lower it is, the better. Can someone please explain this?

Having said that, what brand monitor should I get? Viewsonic or Samsung? It has to be flat screen and 19".

Thanks!

Its the space between the pixels in the screen of the same color. A monitor with a .21mm dot pitch means there is .21mm between one red pixel to the next. The are different ways to measure dot pitch also, such as horizontally, vertically, or diagonally. Pixels can be arranged in a number of ways.

WOW. Thanks for the info. That was a nice read.

Having that out of the way... What do you guys prefer, Samsung or Viewsonic?

CRT. Im not reall one for the whole flat pannel thing, and plus, they are expensive as hell. Flat CRT is what I want.

Would it be a BIG difference from a .20mm to a .25mm dot pitch?

It's not huge, but it's probably noticeable at a high enough resolution.

I'd recommend ViewSonic or NEC -- they both make excellent CRT monitors. I use Viewsonic at home, and my office is all NECs, and they're both pretty good (I give slight preference to Viewsonic because they tend to be a bit cheaper). I haven't used a Samsung monitor in a *while* (other than for maybe 5 minutes at a time in a computer lab somewhere), so I can't comment there.

tom10167 said:
Wouldn't you want a low dot-pitch? Seems like the image would be smoother.

Yes. I diddnt say i wanted a .25mm dot pitch, i was just asking if there was a big difference.

You know, im starting to think that .20 mm dot pitch is necessary for me since i want my 19" monitor especially for the higher resolution.

I would like anyones experiences with high resoulutions with like .25mm dot pitches. Does it really make that big of a difference?

Lower is better in regards to dot pitch on a monitor. The closer the dots are together (the smaller they are) the more detail an image can contain. As well as the monitor gets bigger (21") the dot pitch generally is less than say at 17".

Take a look at a TV up close. It is all fuzzy and blurry and you can actually see the individual pixels. Wouldn't want that on a monitor would ya.

That being said I have a 17" Viewsonic PF775 with a dot pitch of .25mm that is @ 1280x1024 and it seems sharp and clear to me.

i think im just going to make a new topic now to get more readers.

"dot pitch/resolution relations"

Well I have a Samsung 753DF monitor. It is a flat screen 17 in crt monitor. Dot pitch is .20mm. For $120 at upgradesource.com I couldnt pass it up.

Back