how dose one turn off auto play

how do you turn off auto-play in win xp,
    you know that thing that uses 1482% of you cpu power to read the whole cd locking up the entire world while its at it,

Super Moderator
    First Responders
    -->
    10 Year Badge
    Start | Run | Type gpedit.msc and click OK | Expand the following branch in the LH pane of the Group Policy Editor...

Computer Configuration | Administrative Templates | System

Locate the entry for "Turn Off Autoplay" in the RH pane | Right click and select "Properties" | "Setting" tab | Click the "Enable" radio button.

You can accomplish the same thing by using TweakUI for XP, available from MS here...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p.../powertoys.asp

...then with TweakUI open, expand the following branch...My Computer | AutoPlay

wow
    thanks
    the knowlage in this place impresses me

hey redduc, i can also do this by disabling the shell hardware detection service in services.msc .... is there a benefit to one way or the other?

Super Moderator
    First Responders
    -->
    10 Year Badge
    I really don't see any difference/benefit between one method and the other. I'm glad you mentioned the Shell Hardware Detection service, because I hadn't even thought about that. The only thing I know of that can happen by disabling the service is...you may not see your hardware (example: DVD drive) displayed as a "DVD Drive" in Device Manager. Other than that, I don't know of anything else out of the ordinary that can occur by disabling it.