• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nf7-2 and 2500 Barton max question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hafaphoto

nf7-s and 2500 Barton max question

Hello! I am using Hoots guide to o/c a computer, and have hit the wall at 2.3Ghz.

My only changes are the external clock is at 208. Any advice with a way to go faster? Total newbie here, so no volt mods are going to work! (me with a soldering iron is a bad thing!)

At 2.3Ghz, I seem to be stable, temps below 50 with a burn in using SiSandra.

any help would be greatly appreciated! (and thanks again Hoot for the post)

CPU Operating Speed: User Define
External Clock: 200
Multiplifier Factor: 11
AGP Frequency: 66
CPU FSB/DRAM Ratio: 6/6 or 5/5
CPU Interface: Enabled
Power Supply Controller: User Define
CPU Core Voltage: 1.65 or 1.675 to be safe
DDR SDRAM Voltage: 2.7 (gives 2.8 at the socket)
Chipset Voltage: 1.7
AGP Voltage: Default

Advanced Chipset Features
Memory Timings: Expert
Row Active... : 11
Ras to Cas... : 3
RAS Precharge... : 3
CAS Latency... : 2.5
System Bios Cacheable: Disable
Video Ram Cacheable: Disable
CPU Thermal Throttling: Disable
Enhance PCI: Enable
CPU Disconnect: Disable
AGP Transfer: What your card supports 2x, 4x, Auto if you dont know
AGP Fast Writes: If you card supports it then Enable.

Other good points:

If you don't use IR, then disable it.
If you don't use SATA, then disable it.
If you don't use the Parallel Port, then disable it.
If you dont use MIDI, then disable it.
If you dont use the embedded LAN card, then disable it.
If you don't use the embedded Audio, then disable it.

If that runs stable, then consider tightening up the memory timings slowly, say 2-3-3-11, if stable then 2-3-2-11, if stable then 2-2-2-11. If the original settings are not stable, you may have to use a little more Vcore to start off.

Hoot

Last edited:
Some more tips for you here. Since your max speed is 2.3GHz, you can do 230MHz FSB * 10. Flash your bios to d10 to allow 10x multipler @ >220MHz FSB. Use the one with the new sata bios to better avoid sata corruption. Continue to raise your vcore(up to 1.85v if you are using air) if you cannot past 2.3GHz. If you still can't, it is probably your cooler or you have a old XP2500+. Disable what you dun use. Up your agp voltage to 1.6v/1.7v if you are unstable @ high fsb.

I have one of the first 2500's and it maxes out at 2.3 Ghz... It doesn't like high vcore either (not a cooling issue...I run on H20). I think you may have approached the limit on your chip.

I currently am running at 11*210 (vcore 1.75)...(vdimm 2.9)...(chipset 1.7) with memory timings at 2,2,2,11 (Mushkin Level II PC3200 RAM).

You can either go back to BIOS d10 (as suggested) and run 10*230 (this will increase your memory bandwidth) or you can work on tweaking what you have (better memory timings etc).

Good luck.

Remember, if you are running two sticks, especially in dual channel mode, which offers a large increase in memory data rate, per MemTest86, then my experience is that the D10 bios does not offer any improvement. OTOH, it really helps if all you can afford is a single stick of memory.

Hoot

Thanks for the help!

I am currently running at 2.26, when I o/c above 2.3, the next day things get a little unstable. I can NOT go above 208 on the clock. Lowering the mult. does not enable faster FSB (no POST).

I think I will hang out at 2.26 or so for a while. Heck, for a total newbie that is not a bad o/c! I am kinda out of my league when it comes to voltage adjustments!

I appreciate the help, and only got to 2.2 or so because of the help I have gotten on this website. Thanks to everyone! Especially Hoot! The settings you posted earlier were a VERY good starting point.

E

Your CPU can't be fully stabil at 2.3GHz with 1.65 Vcore. It may run without crasching but if you raise the vcore to 1.85~1.95 your 3D Mark score and overall preformance will go up by 10~20%.

Tests with Vcore

Thanks a lot for the info!!! But now I need more information:

I bumped my vcore to 1.75 clock at 215 and got a 2.37 o/c 3x CPU burn in had my CPU temps at 44c

At vcore 1.75 at 217 I got a 2.40 o/c 3x (sisandra) CPU was still at 44c

At vcore 1.75 at 218 I got 2.41 3x burn in crashed.

I have noticed at 1.7 vcore, windows starts up faster and runs better. what is the max vcore I can safely do? (air cooled, watching temps)?

Thanks!
E

vcore questions

I am using sisandra CPU burn in for the following information.

vcore1.825 clock at 222 I get 2.45gz 46.5 temp

vcore 1.85 clock at 223 2.46gz 46.5 temp

I am using fan cooling, and since it is winter, the house is kinda cool, I will have cooling issues in the futere. Looks like I might be able to hit the 2.5gz with this system! Got 3 fans comming in soon!

Thanks for your help!

E

Might want to also look into getting a Power Supply that has a fan on the bottom so its right above the cpu. this ensures better cooling. Put as many case fans as possible and fans with the most CFM the better. Tornados are the best but are alittle on the noisey side.

Your under 50c so that is fine. But the summer is going to pose a problem if it getys hot where u are.

PSU

I got lucky there, I replaced the PSU on my old computer about 6 months ago and got one with the fan at the bottom. It is pulling a lot of heat out, very quietly!

Thanks for the tip!

E

Back