• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how would i do this..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WhiteHawk

ive got a 12" audiobahn sub that is too big to fit behind my truck, so im downsizing to a 10". i want to use the audiobahn in my room, but how would i go about hooking it up to play with the music on my computer. what do i need?

First you'll need an amp. This could either be part of a stereo reciever or a seperate amp(car amps would work too). Make sure that the ohm ratings and power handling for the speaker and amp match up. You'll need enough juice to power a hefty sub like that.

Second, you need to get the sound from the soundcard to the amp. This depends on two things, the type of soundcard and the inputs/outputs on the amp. If your soundcard has a center/sub channel you are halfway there. Only problem is that the center channel frequencies are going to be in there as well.

Depending on the type of amp you might also need a crossover to remove the higher non-bass frequencies. If the amp has a crossover built in then you'll probably want to fine tune it, to get only the low bassy frequencies. This will depend on what the frequency response range on the sub .

Finally, you'll probably need a sub box to make the house shake. Odds are you can probably use the one that you have in your truck, but I can't say for sure. Without a box for the sub to reverb, it will be pretty useless.

Now I don't claim to be an audio expert but this setup should work just fine. And rock the neighbours good :cool: :attn:

Ok thanks, i might use the amp i have right now because i think it will give the 10" sub too much power. I only have onboard sound, so i should get something like a audigy gamer? How do i make it so it plugs into the sound card, right now its bare wires that go from the amp to the sub. Last thing, how do I get power to the amp?

Soundcard -> This may not be necassary to get an independant sound card. If you are using the mobo in your sig, you can use the CNTR/LFE(low frequency effects) port. However, you'll have to run the soundstorm in analog mode. This won't work if you are using other digital speakers(can't use both dig and analog at the same time).

Sound to amp -> This depends on the inputs of the amp. Some have RCA inputs and some have line level inputs. Can you provide a little more info on the amp??

Power to sub and amp -> This is gonna be a little tricky. You'll need to find/create a power supply. I believe most amps run off the 12v found in cars. However, it also uses the alternator to create a frick of a lot of amps.

Hope this helps :cool:

car amps are fine but need a hell of a lot of current to power them. you're probably better of finding a second hand home amp to power the sub - i use a small 2x50w creek amp powering my 12" lightning audio sub for example.

as for the analogue/digital issues with the soundsrom - im pretty sure you can use both at the same time - i have before.

Back