• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hitachi/IBM Deskstar 7k250 -vs- Seagate 120GB 8MB 7200RPM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suma

Hey guys,
I'm planning on a new S-ATA drive.
These above are my choices.
I'm intrested in quite operation and preformance.

I noticed that they're both FDBs, so I bet they're bot quiet (right?) What about the preformance?

Thanks,
Suma.

The Hitachi is going to be faster. The Seagate is going to be quieter with less performance. But im really not to sure how quiet the new Hitachi's are. I heard they are the fastest 7200rpm drives out.

I was going to start a thread with a title "Seagates, Seagates everywhere" but I'll tag onto this one instead.

I went to the local PC Fair on Saturday, looking primarily for two SATA 120s to throw into Raid-0. My primary choices are WD and Maxtor, since they still have a 3 year warranty on the 120s (at least on Newegg). Third choice was Hitachi which are supposed to be very good and fast but only have a 1 year warranty. Seagate was not really in the running because of, well, a general feeling that they weren't as good. Plus, 1 year warranty.

So, of the six dealers that had SATA, all had only Seagates (80 and 120). (I smelled a conspiracy to keep me driveless). One told me that Seagates were the only ones that were real SATA drives and that the others were just IDE with a front end. I think that is correct, but for all of them, not just Seagates.

One seemed more honest and said they had the highest markup value.

I didn't check the model numbers nor do I know if they all had the same models. Anyway, I figured I'd ask for any thoughts.

Hitachi's going to give you better performance with only a slight (very slight) increase in noise...unless you have a setup you can't hear at all you're not going to notice a noise difference.

I'm having a bad time with my WD 80GB 8mb buffer ATA100, cause of the noisy. When I switched to WC, I decreased the noise of my system by pulling all the fans out, now I can hear the HDD loudly. I know that FDB is really helping, I guess I'd go for the Hitachi then.

Thanks everyone,
Suma.

Back