• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Fush Zero - Pictoral Journal of a Complete System Mod (56k beware)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Welcome OC-Forums.

Id like to welcome you guys to my Pictoral Journal of Fush ZERO, my soon to be completed powerhouse Desktop PC. With this project I hope to bring all of you along, step-by-step, with every little piece of work I complete. Not only should newcommers find this a good learning experience, but I hope more experienced modifiers find some spark to their own creativity in what I do.

I found it necissary to split the thread into two, one for the project and another for Questions/Comments. The project has gone on a long time and has become quite lengthy. So to keep it interesting and easy to browse for newcommers, this thread will only contain Project updates and pictures. Everyone likes pics, not everyone likes chat. :D

Note: Alot of what follows this post has been adopted from my old thread about Fush Zero. The original dates of the posts are listed in the subject lines. New posts will not contain a " Posted on:" line.

Mod On.

Last edited:
Posted on: 07-21-03 10:36 PM

Hi OCers Forum. I'm sure you've seen me around, seen some of my work, heard some of my ***'ishness. Well, recently my house was struck by lightning. Luckily my server and several other boxes were offline, though my main computer was hit and toasted. After a short period of grievance, I picked up the shattered remains of my Beloved Tokyo-Fush, and threw him in the garbage.

Being the person that I am, I see this as an opourtunity. To spend some cash, and avoid all the mistakes encountered with my last system build. After some initial brainstorming I came up with the following ideas, read here.

What I present to you, is a step by step , day by day pictoral journal of the progress of my new main computer workhorse, Fush ZERO . I will attempt to keep as up to date as possible, keep the pictures as relevant and quick loading as humanly possible. Any and all input along the way will be greatly appreciated. I would love to get crtiques and feedback throughout the entire modding, design, building and overclocking process.

I hope you enjoy this, as it will be almost as involved as the build itself. :D The posts will start tonight, I have many pictures already, so I will be playing catchup for the next few days.

Posted on: 07-21-03 10:50 PM

Note: As I am writing these posts, I am still ordering and deciding on parts. So the order of the mods and construction will follow what parts I have and what design aspects I have finished in my mind. Suggestions always welcome.

For the main case, I chose a variant of the ever popular Lian Li PC65. This particular case is the PC6085. It's my first Lian Li case, let me say, I'm very impressed. Meticulous quality, and functionality out the ying yang.

1.jpg

At first glance you can see the resemblance to the PC60, and those sweet light strips.

So lets get a closer look. This may be repetetive to some of you Lian Li owners, but its my first and I'm liking it.

2.jpg
3.jpg

Closeups of the power buttons and LEDs. Also a shot of the intake and USB 2.0 ports.

5.jpg

I ended up grabing one of those new stealth drive covers from Lian Li. Its a neatly engineered piece. No modding of the drives needed... damn, no fun in that.

6.jpg

Only blemish I could find are some little white streaks around some machined edges. Anyone else ever seen these marks?

Next installment well pop her open and maybe do some re-engineering of the guts. :D

Last edited:
Posted on: 07-21-03 11:15 PM

QUESTION: Does anyone know where I can find a transparent side panel for this case? Every vendor Ive contacted is out of stock. I would love to have one soon.

7.jpg

After popping the case open and reviewing some part layouts in my mind, I found the first piece that just couldnt go unscathed in this operation...

9.jpg

That dang 3 1/4 drive cage was just taking up too much room. It had to go. Meanwhile its larger counterpart on the floor of the front of the case was eyeing me up the wrong way, Ill deal with him later...

I believe this is a good job for my brand new 5hp Dremel Tool. Whats better to de-virginize a new rotary tool on than a $130 case.
10.jpg
11.jpg

13.jpg

Like Butter!

15.jpg

My new Stout -- stubby little 3 1/4 drive cage. That'll tech him.

In Part II, I'll take care of the cages bigger brother, then show you why I made this one stumpy.

Lattas!

Last edited:
Posted on: 07-22-03 07:33 PM

Okie Dokie. I gotta post alot of pictures tonight. Im about a day or two ahead of what Ive posted. I'm sure you guys wont mind more pictures.

Soooo, first off. Why did I chop that drive cage? Easy answer.

16.jpg

Sweet and Snug.

If you don't know already. theres gonna be a water cooler in this box. I know, big deal. Though I'm only cooling the Northbridge and GPU with H2o.

Next off. That drive cages big brother had beef with me last night. That leaves only one thing to do. I'll let the pics speak for themselves.

17.jpg
18.jpg
19.jpg
20.jpg

World of Hurt.

Now why did I just do that? Needed space for this little bugger.
21.jpg

"Im a Resevior!"

Stay tuned!

Last edited:
Posted on: 07-22-03 07:47 PM

Some of you may have noticed I left out something....

Gotta mount that pump. Its an Eheim 1048 pump. Not the most powerful in the world, but its low heat output and compact for its capacity. Ok time to mount!

This is an easy mod.

22.jpg

MEASURE THREE TIMES! I always mess up.

23.jpg
24.jpg
25.jpg
26.jpg

All warm and cozy in its new occupied territory.

If you notice, the bolts are kind of long. I left room so I can squeeze some rubber bushings in there to reduce vibrations. These guys can hum if youre not carefull.

I'll be back with more pics!

Last edited:
Posted on: 07-22-03 08:11 PM

I'd like to keep you guys up to date with all the sweet, practical, extravagant, stupid, useless, excessive or custom parts I'm going to be spending some hard earned money on.

Its like shopping! But not with your money!!!!!

Ok, to start off with, yesterday I got a big shipment of random parts in from my new favorite store: performance-pcs.com . I needed a power supply, my buddy suggested them, so I mosied on over to their store. Heres what I got:

27.jpg
28.jpg

Its an Antec True Power 550 Watt. Though theres a neat catch...

29.jpg

It's been moded with fully detachable and sleaved cables. You know those pesky extra molex connectors? Lop em off! Though now they just snap back on. Less clutter, and should be much easier to cleanly wire up the case. Also, the extras can be used as molex extensions. I applaud these guys!

... I also bought a few other things...

30.jpg
31.jpg

Yeap. Thats all UV reactive stuff. Misc cables and fans. You can probably figure out the color scheme by now. Oh, and don't worry, Im not making a CRAZY RAVE box. It will be tastefull, and pretty sweet. If I was just slapping some UV stuff in a case, you wouldnt be reading this. I promise some cool mods.

One thing I loved was some of the sleaving tricks these guys at performance-pcs did. Sometimes the sleaving and heatshrink can slide around if not tight around the wires. No problem for those guys, inovate.

32.jpg

Stick a zip tie under the heatshrink. Why didnt I do this before? Take it from the experts.

K, stay tuned guys, and I hope youre enjoying my pics and ranting! I know I'm getting a kick out of it...

Last edited:
Posted on: 07-22-03 09:35 PM

I don't have much time to do any mods tonight. Though my hobby room def needs some cleaning. Bad.

33.jpg
34.jpg

Holy God.

35.jpg

Much Much better.

No, thats not it. I finally plugged in the PSU and powered up the light strips. I just want to share the joy. They look sweet.

36.jpg
37.jpg

Is it Tron-ish? Or is it Tron-ish?

OK, next post will be a real post, I swear.

Last edited:
Posted on: 07-23-03 09:40 PM

I'm tired, I feel lazy. No mods tonight. Though I'll slap up some pictures and fill you in on some descisions that need to be made.

Soo, the H2O cooling.

38.jpg

Mmmm new, so purdy.

Youve seen it before, Danger den Z-chip and Geforce Blocks. Solid performers, and they look sweet. They all have 1/2" fittings. Besides the blocks I'll be using a black ice extreme radiator, Eheim 1048 pump, 3603 1/2" ID Tygon and a new danger den acrylic resevior. Should look snazzy, and be a good performing setup.

Though there was just one problem... The Geforce block didnt quite fit my MSI Geforce 4ti4200 (I know, old card, I don't play games much. I'll upgrade it eventually. Unless someone wants to offer me a 9700 or 9800 for less than $200 :) ).

39.jpg

Shiny Tweakmonster sinks, freshly lapped, oh soo pretty and begging for a volt mod.

The holes in the perspex top are off by about 1/4", and the ramsinks prevent me from just misaligning it a little. I cried a bit, then I thought about redrilling new holes (though it would look nasty). Then, it came to me.

40.jpg

Slapped the mounting screws into a drill press. Hit it with a hammer alot. Viola!

41.jpg

Like a glove, kinda. Though it works, thats all that matters.

The center of the block is off center by about 1/8", but I doubt I will see any rediculous degridations in performance.

So. I'm bugging out. Though I hope to have narrowed down what Phase change system I'll be using. I talked myself into liking the vapochill more for this project, though I may or may not be able to use it, as Id like it underneath the case, and im not budging on that. I also want to balance price, performance, compactness and noise. That seems to put the vapo on the top of my list. As long as mounting it underneath is no problem.

Besides that snag, Im drawing out designs to be cut into parts and windows to tie both cases together. Hopefully I can get 64Thunderbolt to do the cutting for me. Id love to keep it in the forums. When I decide on the final drawings, Ill post some pics.

Last edited:
Posted on: 07-24-03 10:21 PM

Sorry guys no pics to post tonight. If I did, they would be boring.

But I do have Updates!

Phase Change Cooling: I have finally nailed down what system I am going to use. Ive been in heavy conversation with the guys at XtremeSystems, here, phase-change.com and asetek forums. The problem if you didnt know was I decided I wanted a compact system with a lower noise factor, but still wanted phase change. Thats a Vapochill's arena. Ill sacridice some performance for form and functionality.

BUT!

You cannot mount vapochill compressors underneath the evaporator, i.e., you cant mount it under the case like a prometeia. So I said, fine, ill mount it up top.

Nope.

Power supply needs to be relocated, and it looks real funky with the design I have in my head. So I talked to the famous Bowman at XS. Problem solved. I just need some massive modifications to the vapochill and I can mount it underneath. So, when this is all over, I will have a slick, quiet, smaller phase change syste, and the only bottom mounted vapochill in town. Alotta work, but hey, this is a Modding Forum.

What I am doing tonight: I'm drawing out all the ideas for my custom windows. I am in contact with 64Thunderbolt, and I hope to have both panels and the panels for the phase change unit, water cut by 64Thunderbolt. Great Guy by the way. Im going for a neat, open air, industrial look with a hint of winter (If you can picture that, heres a dollar :santa:)

What I am doing Tommorrow: I will be buying alot of parts. I get Paid $$. When the parts show up, Ill post pics.

Expect more this weekend. Lattas OC.

Posted on: 07-25-03 06:41 PM

In response to a request, whenever I post a "FLEETING BANK ACCOUNT" Post, Ill list the rough costs estimates of the items Ive bought or things Ive spent money on. If you want an exact cost of an item, or where I got it, feel free to PM me. Ill let you know.

Heres an update till now:

Parts I already had/have-
Eheim 1048: $50
BIextreme: $65
Asus 48x cdr: $70
Case: $140
Lian Li stealth drive cover: $14
PSU: $170
Cold Cathodes, SATA Cables, Sleaving, Shrinkwrap and Misc: $100
3 80mm Antec UV fans + 1 120mm UV fan: $40
Z chip Water Block: $38
D Den Resevior: $25

Today I wanted to cut a blowhole for the radiator and do some wiring for the water pump, so I went on down to the Homie Depo and went browsing. I came back with this:

42.jpg

4.5" hole saw ($24), 3" hole saw($12.50), Aluminum 6-32 Machine screws ($2),6-32 rod ($1),hole saw chuck ($12), angle aluminum ($10), other misc ($10).

I never knew the hole saws were so expensive, but I need them anyways in the long run. Heres a closeup if youve never seen them.

43.jpg

Mmm, Carbon steel.

The angle aluminum is for the frame of the vapochill case. Its lightweight and strong. Also easy to tool. The aluminum screws match the lian li really well. I think Ill use them all over.

Now back to modding. Though I leave you with a picture of my art studio as I draw up some designs for the case windows and vapo parts.

44.jpg

Whats my motivation?

Last edited:
Posted on: 07-25-03 10:19 PM

OK, here we go. If you havent seen a hole saw all setup and rip roarin to go:

45.jpg

Did anybody order Badass?

It locks into the chuck of a drill and you need a special mount for them. Yeah, theyre awkward and heavy. Make sure you have a good torquey drill.

46.jpg

Upside down and full of novicane. Im gonna cut you.

Now the saw likes to juke all over the place when using it so its a good thing to have a pilot hole ready. There was already a blowhole in the top of my case, so it made it harder. I had to cut the grill and drill through something underneath then clamp the whole mess together. This would prove a good proposition if I had good clamps.

47.jpg

Gnarly.

Now its time to drill.

48.jpg

Im gonna cut you soo bad, That you no wish I cut you soo bad.

That drill I pictured before tended to suck with the hole saw. It moved all over the place, then got hot, then wouldnt cut, then the battery died. So I pulled out old trusty Dewalt drill and finished the job.

Last edited:
Posted on: 07-25-03 10:23 PM

Lemme give you some advice if you ever cut a 120mm hole with a whole saw.

Light Hands.

Let the saw drill a circular rut in the metal before you start seriously cutting. The cordless drill scraped up the inside of the case around one side of the hole. So I switched drills and pretty much started over. Though the clamps kept slipping. Make sure your setup is secure. After I cut through a bit, it went smoothly.

Heres some pics:

49.jpg

The Yellow one. Thats a real drill.

50.jpg

See the scrapes? But at least its inside.

51.jpg

My, arent we all dirty.

52.jpg

That had to hurt.

53.jpg

All sanded, pretty and cleaned up.

It turned out pretty damn good. Theres a small scuff but you can barely see it. Will probably be covered by the fan grill. On the inside, wont even see it. Will be covered by a fan.

Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Posted on: 07-25-03 11:36 PM

I probably should have said this before. But... I ran into a design flaw before I drilled the 120mm hole. Well, its more like a layout flaw.

Origionally, I had planned on shoving the radiator up into the rafters as an exhaust from the case. Sounds great untill I realized that the drives, radiator and power supply would all bump heads up there, no matter how I moved, twisted, prodded or finaggled. So I gotta move it. But Ill still keep the 120mm blowhole.

Heres a pic so you can kinds see how the drives will interfere with the rad.
54.jpg

CD Rom: Im too damn long!

So heres my idea. Use the rad as the intake and make a shroud for the front fan ports to the radiator. Though Ill make it multi functional.
55.jpg

Rad: Im multifunctional!

Ill mount it at a diagonal with a neat cutom shroud. Then the air from the fan will help to cool the pump as well as help cool the ram and other Mobo parts with a breeze.

I know, "But Fush! That air is warm! *cry*" Its not that warm, the H20 will only be cooling the NB and GPU. What I can then do is use identical fans for the blowhole and radiator. Hook them both up to the fan controller, then I can balance airflow.

Lemme know what you think. Also, what to make the shroud from?
I ponder.

Last edited:
Posted on: 07-26-03 02:44 PM

Ok, so I started the brackets for the water coolers radiator. Im going ahead with the plan to mount it at an angle. Here goes.

56.jpg

Always when cutting metal, start with a good pattern. Measure 3 times, and use a good cutter.

As you can see the mount will consist of two brackets. One for the Radiator, and one to act as a shroud for the intake holes. This way I can separate the radi at will pretty easily.

57.jpg

After scrolling out the design, I went to the bench, Ill cut it out using a combo of my dremel tool with fiberglass wheels and my air powered cutter.

58.jpg

Looking damn good. I used 220 grit sandpaper to get all the nasties off the edges.

59.jpg
60.jpg

I did all the forming with a rubber hammer and my workbench.

Almost done...

Last edited:
Posted on: 07-26-03 02:49 PM

Here sthe finished product for the Rad mount. I cut out the back section for airflow, and I may cut a little more just to open it up. Any other changes will be cosmetic to make it look like its not just a hunk of metal. Ill let you know when I do that.

61.jpg
62.jpg

Awww Sookie.

Now its off to Home Depot again to grab some more aluminum. I didnt expect I would need this much but oh well.

Lattas.

Last edited:
Posted on: 07-29-03 08:54 PM

I know I havent been posting alot of pics the past few days, its cuz theres nothing to post. So, to keep your intrests untill I get the drawings done for the panels, heres some completely shiny, random but usefull to me photos. Enjoy!

63.jpg
64.jpg

Oh so shiny! And Cluttered! And what the hell are you doing?

Last edited:
Posted on: 07-30-03 09:41 PM

I know youve all seen one before, but my mobo came in. $109 at excaliberpc.com . Its an Abit NF7-S 2.0.

I just took a glamour shot, and one of the sweet thing I havent seen in a while. A thermistor right inside of the cpu socket. Its blue.

65.jpg
66.jpg

Purdy! Likee!

I didnt know how orange the board actually is. Sgould look good in my case.

Last edited:
Posted on: 07-30-03 09:44 PM

Here a sneak peak at the future case panels of Fush ZERO. The black part will be the actual panel, white is cuttout. Though I ran out of sharpie marker.

Ill take a break and get some more, breathe a little, and then finish this one and the other 4.

67.jpg

Soooo Tron'ish its wrong.

Ill be done with these in a day or so, then back to cuttng, chopping and modding.

Last edited:
Back