• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I overclock an Emachine eMonster 500a?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TommyDee291

Hi, It's been a long time since I've posted here... And alot has changed in that time. This time I am trying to overclock my father's current computer: An eMachine eMonster 500a which has an Intel Pentium III Slot 1 CPU at 500 mhz... I would like to know if its at all possible to overclock this particular machine... Thanks.

your chances of OCing that machine...even using a software program is about less then 1%...for the simple fact you will need to know the exact details of certain things using software programs and most companys do not put the PLL and such so you can read them...and there is no way to OC it using the BIOS since it has a locked BIOS...

Obviously the manufacturer doesn't make their own motherboards... so try and find out what it is (like, what it initially was) and re-flash it with the bios for it (the real board's bios)... although, this is risky, may screw up...

I dont recommend it at all. Since you're not absolutely sure what the board originally was, it isn't too smart to try to reflash the bios. I'd say it's too big of a risk, and with a machine like that I'm not so sure what your yields would be... lol

WobbZ said:
Obviously the manufacturer doesn't make their own motherboards... so try and find out what it is (like, what it initially was) and re-flash it with the bios for it (the real board's bios)... although, this is risky, may screw up...

This wont work since the BIOS's wont match up...it will give you the BIOS codes do not match up error when trying to flash them...the MB makers and OEM makers have already made sure that no one can do this...this is why softFSB and a few other software OCing programs were made...that is why you will need the PLL and such for those programs...

glock19owner said:
your chances of OCing that machine...even using a software program is about less then 1%...for the simple fact you will need to know the exact details of certain things using software programs and most companys do not put the PLL and such so you can read them...and there is no way to OC it using the BIOS since it has a locked BIOS...
You can just take a look at the PLL chip on the motherboard and see which model it is and whether its supported by a software OCing program. In this way, I was able to overclock a Compaq Presario. Even some PLLs which aren't supported can be overclocked, such as the ICS952601 used by Dell and I've overclocked a Dell Dimension 4600 successfully.

That is if they list the PLL...I have worked on quite a few emachines and have only come across one or two where the PLL was actually listed...that is why I stated that there was still a 99% chance or so that they wouldnt beable to OC it even with a software program...but hey if there emachine has the PLL listed on the MB then they have a better chance...but still no gart. that the software program will still OC it...

my dad uses an eMonster 500a. and I can't get it to overclock! no chance using the bios and no chance using a program like softFSB! sorry to tell you that! lol - thats why I build my own!

My first overclock ever was about a year ago on my old p2 slot 1 @300mhz....it was in a HP pavilion ????.....using my soldering iron i was able to unlock the fsb (its complicated to explain all this and i have a thread about it somewhere)....what im trying to say is if i oced my 300MHZ p2 in my HP computer, if you try hard, you might be able to get the e-machine to oc...im not sure if its worth the time....i did my p2 overclock just for fun of ocing the old fashioned way (w/ jumpers)...good luck

edit: wow i have bad grammar....sorry if that was ahrd to follow...not enough time to fix...sorry:(

I also have a 500a that runs slow with winxp and I was wondering if a cpu upgrade would help. The motherboard is from an manufacturer with no support. Thanks in advance.

it could help, but i wouldnt recommend it too much. You'll be better of IMO building a new pc. But again thats my opinion

bximplant said:
I also have a 500a that runs slow with winxp and I was wondering if a cpu upgrade would help. The motherboard is from an manufacturer with no support. Thanks in advance.
The only way youd probably be able to do a processor upgrade was if you new your motherboard spec and settings. Youd be better off just biulding a cheap athlon xp system.

Oh, and the best thing i think you shoudl do to get better performance in xp would be to get more system memory. It probably uses sdram which can be had for about $30 for 128mb. Id reccomend getting one or two sticks of the stuff since you mobo only supports up to 256mb. You can get cheap prices off pricewatch if you know exactly what memory you need or you can buy it off crusial or kingston and youll know for sure your getting the right stuff for a few bucks more.

www.pricewatch.com
www.kingston.com
www.crucial.com

I have the identical system like yours. Listen carefully, this is what I did to make my computer go faster.

I bought another computer.

Ok, lets get serious now. I did have the identical system. Like the rest of the guys said, you can't overclock it. First of all, the bios is locked, just like Dell's system. What this meant is that you don't have the option to change the FSB or increase the Vcore. I also tried the hardware overclock. That mobo is the old type, and also requires you to move some jumpers to set the clock speed. I did that, and nothing changed.

Unless it's an alienware, you can't overclock any manufacturer's computers. That have to do this to protect themselves. PIII is sooooo outdated already and you can't play any of the games today (at least at a decent resolution). Even P 4 are almost outdated. Intel is going to release their next generation CPUs latest by the end of the 2nd quarter this year.

If you can't wait, wait a little longer until the next generation CPU's and standard is release. But this wait can be as long as 6 months. If you can't, go get a P4 2.4C or the AMD Barton 2500, with a very powerful video card. These will be your options for now, at least this is what I think.

Back