• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project FlameCube

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Atleast I'm making progress... DOH!

Foibles Foibles Foibles.
First my Bandsaw refuses to work so I waste 2 days fiddling with it. I gave up and the manufacturer accepted a refund order and had UPS pick it up from my house.

I was torqued because I hadn't put any of my tools to good use in a while. This was my only cutting tool for quite awhile, an inversly mounted jigsaw bolted through a shelfboard.
t_jigsaw.jpg
It works great for plunging cuts and it's how I cut both the arrow shape out of the side of the case, and the window above the DVD-ROM.
I wanted to get something done so I setup my new Drillpress and proceeded to work on the key-face plate for the keyboard. I cut it to fit the keyboard and test-fit it to mark all the key-holes. Then I center-punched 88 marks and then proceeded to drill and counter-sink 88 holes.
t_drillpress.jpg
This took about 3 hours and when I was finished, it was gorgeous. Alas, NONE OF THE HOLES FIT MY FINGERS. :mad:
Not enough clearance was available for my fingers to effectively press through the holes. I went back to the drill-press to fix the problem with a larger drill bit, but it ate into the countersunk edges and tore it up.
Dismayed and annoyed I was cheered up a little by the arrival of my inky-dinky 4-inch table saw. It's so cute :D
t_4tablesaw.jpg
It looks like the violent younger brother of an EasyBake Oven.

Tomorrow I'm heading to a Plastics Shop in Maryland to buy some scrap plastic at $2 per pound. This will give me the material I need to make the LCD lid and the new key-face for my keyboard.

*tease*
I've finished all the tool work on the keyless keyboard and I'm about to go assemble it.
*/tease*

I've also find a great local source for plastics and I purchased all the plastic I needed to construct the keyboard lid AND all the plastic I still need to make the LCD lid. Plus some extra material. The total of my bill was a meager $7.
Me happy

The only disappointment today is that I didn't buy a band saw. I decided that I don't really need it and that they're a huge pain to work with. All my cutting will be done with the table saw or the jigsaw.

So is there going to be any logos on this? Like.....say.....a GameCube logo on fire? Cause, umm, right, I'll quit now.....promise.....

Hmm I can't decide who's the most amazing on these boards when in comes to modding. :eek: Maybe we need to give out awards each year :D I'm also going to be doing a "portable desktop" and this is for sure since I'm going to a summer music course in July. I just need to figure out how to make this tiny pc. Well my latest "creation" isn't anywhere close to any mods everyone here is capable of but I have to admint I'm quite please with myself after cutting wire for 28 microswitches. 28x2 (input+gnd), 56x2 (daisychain the gnd cable), 112+29 (attach all wires to input device)= >141. Too bad it's a mess of wires that doesn't look as good as a ITX case.

The pics speak for themselves, so...
bt_evil.gif

7_kkb1.jpg
7_kkb2.jpg
7_kkb3.jpg
It's not the best keeyboard for typing, but it was one heck of a fun project. I made it specifically for eye-catching appeal and instant-response keys which work great for gaming. Now that my fingers know where they're landing, this is the ideal keyboard for playing first-person shooters. I can rest my fingers in the required keyholes and press ever-so lightly to move, jump, strafe, or select weapons with ease.

Mmmmm, and it's tasty. :drool:

Last edited:
wow, i totally didn't see that coming, and i took a good look at the mach1 and your key design. that is simply beautiful, and it even looks good in the daytime (i like seeing all those pathways on the contact sheets... looks, i dunno, futuristic)

anyway, you have again done a beautiful job that i know will inspire me and other to become better modders

mod on

That keyboard just leaves me speechless!! The only thing that could make it better (IMO) is if it were wireless (but I guess that's too much to ask for) btw I realize my post yesterday made absolutely no sense, for a number of reasons (one being it was 12am and my mom was not very happy I wasn't in bed) But what I meant to say was that I had just finished building my very own two player arcade controller. :D

capt... How thick are the acryllic sheets on that Keyboard..

Thats given me an idea to mod mine.. but try to make it... FOLDABLE...

tbones1337 said:
capt... How thick are the acryllic sheets on that Keyboard..

Thats given me an idea to mod mine.. but try to make it... FOLDABLE...
1/16th
Making it foldable would be a nightmare considering you'd need to cement all of the pieces together instead of clamping them together like I have. At the moment my keyboard is basically just a plastic sandwich.

It's finished. After 15 hours of stressful, time consuming work I finially have it completed and operational. Keep in mind I haven't had time to polish all the edges, but that's because my hands are really bruised and stiff from working with all those tiny screws.

Watch as it folds away into a stream-lined shape that echos the side intakes.
7_screen1.jpg
7_screen2.jpg
7_screen3.jpg
7_screen4.jpg
And then it locks closed with a roller-catch in the top of the screen. The "spear" part of the catch is attached to the push-slide-ramp thingy-ma-bob (I'm tired). It prevents the lid from flapping-open when I move the whole machin and it prevents it from slamming close. Since the slide moves rearward, you have an unobstructed view of DVD-ROM window when the lid is opened.

The standard viewing angle is low on purpose. This allows me (and a few other lucky people) to sit on the floor and play games.
7_screen.jpg
And there's the whole point of adding the screen. Gaming, DVD/DivX playback, and later as an mp3 visualization screen.

Phew, I'm beat.

After seeing the mini table saw I was just reminded of something...they just opened a Harbor Frieght tools in Woodbride, near the potomac mills mall.

So if you need cheap tools to continue the mods, might wanna check that place out. :)

ahh - lovely mods - just great ..

If I understand your keyboard correctly - another version
could have the holes reverse counter sunk with cone shaped keys.

- oh it would be great to have your skill --- Enjoy

Oni said:
You've officially won the 'M4d Sk1llz' award for l337n3ss.

Can you make an mpeg of the top opening/closing?
Sure. Everyone will have to pardon my doughy complexion, but I'll do it.

be back in a bit...

couchpotato said:
If I understand your keyboard correctly - another version
could have the holes reverse counter sunk with cone shaped keys.
Actually, the next version won't have an upper sheet. The contact sheets will probably be held down with binding posts.
But we'll see, sometime.

Back