• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heat sensors, where to place them best?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ed_fubes

Hi,

I have purchased Cooldrive 4 from coolermater. Where exactly can I place the CPU heat sensor? I have it now touching the heatsink, but I dun think it's correct, because it's giving me 28'C, where as my mobo is telling me the CPU is only at 23'C. Where's the most acurate place I can place the sensor? I can't put it between the heatsink and the chip, can I? I guess this questions goes for the GPU as well.

Thnx.

A common thing to do is use thermal tape and tape it to the underside of the CPU, aslo, some people drill holes in the side of the HS and place the probe in there....I prefer the first method though.

Sometimes the wire is too big on the probe and you cant get it on the underside of the CPU so what you do with that is you use thermal tape or scotch tape and attach the probe on the top side of the CPU with the tip of the probe touching the CPU die.

Wow, that was 1 big sentance.

Depends on what chip you have.On a Intel,at least this is what I did.When I installed my new HSF before I put the fixture on.I took some thermal tape.Trimed the senser plastic a wee bit,thermal taped it to the side if the CPU.Then I installed the SP-94 HSF.My remote thermal probe reads 4 C lower then my bios reading.I just add 4 C to compensate. THE FANMAN:cool:

If it's AMD just trim the plastic off the tip and put in NEXT TO (not on top of) it with a little tape of any sort and maybe a little thermal compound (AS3/5 whatever) around it.

BTW,
Welcome To The Forums!:D
Introduce yourself:D

Last edited:
Back