• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick help needed on what RAM to buy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JML

Last time I was reading about memory Corsair XMS was king of the hill. Now I'm reading all this stuff about Kingston and Mushkin Level 2 and yatta yatta. My parents wanna order the stuff I want for xmas today, should of looked this up days ago :p

Anyways, I'm looking at a stick of Mushkin 512MB PC3500 Black Hi Performance Level 2 RAM on newegg- its goin for $140- is this a good choice over other possible choices?

BTW, the board I'm gonna be putting it in is a NF7-S (version 2)

Mushkin Black Level 2 PC-3500 is always a good choice. Gaurenteed Winbond BH-5 memory, with Mushkin's top-notch support. It's a bit costy, but the NewEgg price is a good deal considering the price of overpriced Corsair XMS PC-3200 (that uses Winbond CH-5 chips).

I would guess that your purchasing 1x 512MB stick with the possibility that you may purchase another one later on (with thoughts of dual-channel) or am I mistaken? If you are, you may have to purchase that stick second-hand, depending on the quantity of Winbond BH-5 chips that Mushkin has left (which is dwindling - given that they havn't got yet another new shipment of older chips).

Speed_Mechanic2 said:

I would guess that your purchasing 1x 512MB stick with the possibility that you may purchase another one later on (with thoughts of dual-channel) or am I mistaken? If you are, you may have to purchase that stick second-hand, depending on the quantity of Winbond BH-5 chips that Mushkin has left (which is dwindling - given that they havn't got yet another new shipment of older chips).

You are not mistaken, in fact you are correct :)

It's unfortunate to hear that, sounds like I might as well add a second stick to the order, which I'll have to pay for myself seeing as I'm maxed out of xmas gifts. I still want two WD raptor drives for RAID 0, which will be like $260 total, plus another stick of that RAM is gonna be me at about $400- damn.

Add to that a new vid card for half life 2, and the monitor I'm buying, I'm spending about a $1000. Guess I better start asking for more hours at work ;)

Thanks guys, your encouraging words about the Mushkin RAM has made it an easy decision

Back