• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg refurbs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FattyMcNastyXK

Bambam's soldier
I'm sorry if this has been discussed before.
But i was wondering how reliable newegg refurbs are? Where do they come from and should i have a peace of mind if i were to buy a refurb. Thanks

Like, there's an Asus p4c800-e delux which i know would normally cost more than $110. Would you buy it?

OTOH, ordered 3 CD-RWs for friend's rigs, 2 worked, 1 didn't :(
3 motherboards (amds), 1 worked, 2 had some bent pins on the IDE connectors ... and one from the two had problem with onboard sound ... but newegg refunded my money right away :D

I am 2 for 3 on video cards from there. (dead 9700pro)
1-2 on mobos. (DDR slots are all dead. PC133 works.)
Lots of other stuff that has not failed me yet. In fact my g/f's entire PC is made from Newegg refurbs and it is more stable than my PC. I think its due to her not tweaking or overclocking. :(

I have ordered two video cards from them, a Gainward FX5200 Golden Sample and a Sapphire Atlantis 9600 Pro. They listed the 5200 as OEM but I got everything including the retail box. I tested it for about 3 days and didn't have any problems with it. The Sapphire I just received yesterday. It was listed as Bulk OEM, so it came as a brown box (Card only). I'm still messing around with it but haven't seen any problems (I'm using it right now while typing this). SWG looks incredible on the Sapphire :D

A curious thing about the Sapphire was the NTSC/PAL jumper was set to PAL. So I just changed it to the NTSC setting before installing it. With that in mind if you do buy from the refurb’s make sure all the jumpers are set right ;)

Really there is no risk involved when buying a refurb from Newegg. Even if the part works for the 15 days that you are able to return to Newegg, then it fails a month later, you are still covered by the full manufacturers warranty. Yes, this would mean having to deal with the manufacturer of the device instead of with Newegg to get it repaired or whatever, but you aren't gonna be left in a lurch. Just make sure to keep those receipts.

I have ordered a whole bunch of refub'ed parts from newegg. They last a while, just as long as normal parts. Well worth it.

Matt

I've ordered 2 mobos which worked, and a 9700 Pro that doesn't.

Here's a question - is there any way to avoid the restocking fee associated with returning a refurbished product? I mean, this 9700Pro is artifact city, and is more likely to be 'returned to manufacturer' or 'thrown out' than 'restocked'.

Paying $30 plus shipping for nothing does not sit well.

Thanks for any help.

NicePants42 said:
I've ordered 2 mobos which worked, and a 9700 Pro that doesn't.

Here's a question - is there any way to avoid the restocking fee associated with returning a refurbished product? I mean, this 9700Pro is artifact city, and is more likely to be 'returned to manufacturer' or 'thrown out' than 'restocked'.

Paying $30 plus shipping for nothing does not sit well.

Thanks for any help.

Newegg doesnt charge a restocking fee on Refurb items that I am aware of.

i've gotten a GF4 ti4600, works great, two Lian-Li's, both in perfect condition, one WD hard drive that works fine, several mobo's and they all worked, 2-3 cpu's, the last one i got didnt work. RMA'ed without problem, they refunded however, rather than replacing as i requested.

i even got two cpu's and a video card from the dead stuff back when they had a lot of that stuff, that worked fine.

So let me get this straight... You could buy something that was not a Newegg refurb? Interesting concept. ;)

larva said:
So let me get this straight... You could buy something that was not a Newegg refurb? Interesting concept. ;)

That is an unknown Newegg perk, if an item is broken and you bought it from the refurb section, they will often send you a sealed New unit as a replacement.

I have a buddy that has a terrible Radeon Oem 8500 (230/200) It may be the worst 8500 ever made, anyhow I ordered a 9700 Pro yesterday for $170 from Newegg refurb section. hopefully he will pay me for it :p

So if you order a refurb'd item from newegg and it turns out to be dead, does newegg pay for the shipping to send the item back?

xace said:
So if you order a refurb'd item from newegg and it turns out to be dead, does newegg pay for the shipping to send the item back?

no, shipping fee for the dead item would be of your pocket, but they will refund 100% of what you paid (no restock fee).

Back