• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD not seen by bios

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chief

I added a WD 80 gig to a dell which has a Maxtor 30 gig and the bios does not see the new drive.XP see's and I can use the 80 but my problem is if the bios does not see it I cant make a a clone with Ghost 2003.I have tried every combo of jumper settings on the drives but still nothing.How do I get the dell bios to see the 80 gig as slave on the primary ide?

WD drives are known to be picky, I have a WD drive that'll only work with my Maxtor drive if I remove the jumper (Setting it to slave, master or cable select doesn't work).

Did you try to see if the BIOS detects the drive if it's the only drive on the cable?

try it without any jumpers at all.
my WD's don't require any jumpers at all to run as slave.

have u asked the bios to autocheck, also check if the harddrive is getting power

also have u created a partition yet ?

Last edited:
I have tried every combo of jumpers and lack of I can thing of and bios will not see it.The weird thing however is xp see's it and I can use it.I formated in ntfs with one partition as is the 30 gig maxtor.Bios gives me (none) and (n/a) but no option for auto detect.Thats the first thing I tried.

Ok this is even more weird.After 4 hours of racking the noggin I shut it off and went to dinner.Came back and when I started it up for like the 50th time today it now see's it and Ghost is now able to make a clone.

is the maxtor jumpers set for maxtor with slave??
also that WD drive could be bad, i have gotten a few WDs that were DOA,
wd has been making junk drives this year

Back